Is this Hedge?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

metalfingers

Jan 15, 2017
Central IL
At a buddy's house in central Illinois. He said a few people told him it's hedge but it doesn't look like it to me.

ZTuoyBS.jpg

76HpqiR.jpg

VQAcoit.jpg

Grows like a large shrub, right bark texture, right grain. Id say hedge fo sho. Isnt it just the females that produce apples?

Reactions: D8Chumley
Not all trees grow the apples. It sure looks like Hedge. Great burning, will be like firecrackers when you open your stove door.

Looks like Hedge to me.
Any thorns on the branches?

I am originally from Illinois and have cut tons of hedge from wind breaks that are all over the farm country there and that is indeed hedge! You need someone to haul that off? lol

Not sure how hedge grows up there, but that is a 'classic' example from here... bushy, multiple trunked 'tree', twisty, multiply branched chunks of wood with hardly a straight run...one piece of firewood with 2, 3, 4 or more branches lopped off. Great wood there!

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
Another vote for Hedge....the twisted bark isn't seen on Mulberry like that although they are often good at confusing people trying to make a positive ID!

Hedge will be bright yellow when freshly cut. Haven’t had any mulberry.

Attachments

• EAF2C0AE-2D11-4764-AE99-04CF69A462CE.jpeg
    EAF2C0AE-2D11-4764-AE99-04CF69A462CE.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 197
  • E7A9209B-31A9-4CDB-AB45-3854CB097A78.jpeg
    E7A9209B-31A9-4CDB-AB45-3854CB097A78.jpeg
    249 KB · Views: 209
  • 63870655-6E32-45F3-8597-73FB64451E20.jpeg
    63870655-6E32-45F3-8597-73FB64451E20.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 194
Hedge will be bright yellow when freshly cut. Haven’t had any mulberry.
Nice score! Hedge trees that size is where its at!

Reactions: Rangerbait
A buddy that burns told me mulberry is junk. I said let me know I’ll take it off your hands lol. I have some that’s seasoned enough to burn this year, just waiting for it to get cold enough to burn it. Used a little last year when it got real cold, good stuff!

I'm kind of thinking mulberry. All the hedge I've seen here in IL is really yellow inside and the mulberry I've seen is more like that deep purpleish color.

Resplit a piece and post up some pics...hedge and mulberry both will darken up a lot after split and setting awhile.

Reactions: Rangerbait
It looks like the mulberry I see and cut around me. I say wait for spring to see if you get mulberries or nothing (granted some of it is still standing). Either way, it's a great wood.

also if it's hedge there should be apples still on the ground if that remaining part is still alive. The hedge apples take forever to rot and last well into the winter.

Does this not look similar to Black Locust? Not so much the tree but the wood itself.

If you look carefully at the leaves on the ground you will see many Hedge leaves in the mix

Looks like mulberry but unless u have some leaves hard to tell they are both in the same family. Regardless both are very good wood, u have any pics of leaves.