Is this hedge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heavy hammer

Minister of Fire
Jul 18, 2015
Kirtland Ohio
Resized_20210208_174522_2797.jpegResized_20210208_120529_2592.jpeg
I'm pretty sure this is hedge.

Reactions: thewoodlands
Stick a log in the ground, wait 100 years, and if it’s still solid, it’s probably hedge. ;)

I have mulberry that looks like that when it’s cut, but it darkens quickly afterwards. That bark is rough, though.

Last edited:
That wood looks freaky! The wood resembles locust but the bark is different.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Count the rings. Looks like beautiful wood.

A guy I work with makes traditional bows with hedge, he made me an axe handle also. That’s a show piece I have by the wood stove it’s absolutely beautiful!

Looks like hedge to me, I cut up this small one about a month ago.

Attachments

• IMG_7132.JPG
    IMG_7132.JPG
    174.1 KB · Views: 197
mulberry

Based on the 2 pictures I would say it’s Osage. Generally I have to go with @CincyBurner ’s thoughts but not on this one. The second pic looks to show an Osage bark.

I ended up with just a few wheel barrow loads of it I can take a couple more pics but I figure it is a good score.

Reactions: D8Chumley
A guy I work with makes traditional bows with hedge, he made me an axe handle also. That’s a show piece I have by the wood stove it’s absolutely beautiful!

Here's a post on bows from way back. Haven't made one for a while but have some staves ready to go. need to get back into it

Reactions: D8Chumley and Osage
Here's a post on bows from way back. Haven't made one for a while but have some staves ready to go. need to get back into it
That's really cool that you make your own bows. I checked out your pictures, very nice! There's something about primitive tools. Not to throw this thread off course, but our daughters friend, a woman, uses an atlatl to hunt with, and successfully I might add.

Beautiful work, sir! I’ll have to post the axe handle he made for me later

Reactions: Ericcc and osagebow
That is a bit of a drive since I'm about 45 min east of Cleveland. I'm sure you will have plenty of takers to help with that hedge problem.