Is this installed correctly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

concerned

Oct 11, 2022
Canada
Hi there,
We recently had a chimney professionally installed. I am concerned that the insulated pipe going through the floor is snug against the wood 2x4 brace when everything I read says that insulated pipe needs to be at least 2inches from all combustibles.

The installer also said the frame only need to be an inch away from the double wall pipe and can be touching the heat shield that is installed further up.

Is this installed correctly? Thanks for any help!
20221009_093006.jpg

No, class A chimney pipe typically needs 2" clearance from any combustible. This makes the rest of the install suspect. What does the chimney pipe sit on and what about the rest of the installation? Why was that section of black pipe used?

No, class A chimney pipe typically needs 2" clearance from any combustible. This makes the rest of the install suspect. What does the chimney pipe sit on and what about the rest of the installation? Why was that section of black pipe used?
Apparently the black chimney is double wall insulated and the stainless that is visible above is just a heat shield. Is the black one not class A?

What type of chimney is this. Can you give us a picture showing more of the setup?

What type of chimney is this. Can you give us a picture showing more of the setup?
I'm not home right now this is the only other picture I have at the moment, where the heat shield goes to the ceiling.
He didn't give much info on the chimney other than it's double wall insulated, as far as I know it's this black stuff the whole way through.
20221009_092928.jpg

Thanks for the reply, would you mind explaining to me how it should have been done/what materials should have been used?

I think what we are seeing is the black is the support box and the galvanized is a heat shield that runs up into the attic. But I am not sure, it's a system I havnt seen before

I think what we are seeing is the black is the support box and the galvanized is a heat shield that runs up into the attic. But I am not sure it's a system I havnt seen before
Ahh ok, thank you. I see a ceiling support on the invoice so that must be what that is. Hopefully it's all installed correctly as it's running through my kids bedroom.

It seems that black pipe is the ceiling support. I wasn't home when he installed it, and everything I've seen is different than this, hopefully it is correct.

Sorry for all the replies!

Ahh ok, thank you. I see a ceiling support on the invoice so that must be what that is. Hopefully it's all installed correctly as it's running through my kids bedroom.
I am not sure of that but it really looks like it to me

The sticker visible in the picture of post 5 should show the clearance needed. You can show that to the installer.
It mostly is 2", but can sometimes be 1.5".

The sticker visible in the picture of post 5 should show the clearance needed. You can show that to the installer.
It mostly is 2", but can sometimes be 1.5".
The red tape just says not to install insulation above that line. If there are any stickers on the chimney with required clearance they are all under the heat shield.

That is in post 6. Post 5 shows a sticker similar to mine. Mine says 2" there, or 1.5" if all components are a certain type.

It seems that black pipe is the ceiling support. I wasn't home when he installed it, and everything I've seen is different than this, hopefully it is correct.

Sorry for all the replies!
I haven't seen this system either. Excel is a good company, but this is a new one for me. I just downloaded their new catalog. This looks like the Excel 6ERDS / ERDSI round support that appears to be tall enough to have the attic insulation shield built-in. Clever.

Last edited:
Sorry for the initial erroneous response. Knowing the company makes a big difference.

Sorry for the initial erroneous response. Knowing the company makes a big difference.
No worries, I misidentified a part and didn't know the make/model myself. I've been stressed about this for days and thanks to everyone here am feeling much more confident about it's safety!

Too bad, my sticker notes the clearance. Would have been nice to show a person onsite

Too bad, my sticker notes the clearance. Would have been nice to show a person onsite
The support box doesn't denote clearance because it is to establish a zero clearance setup by creating the 2" clearance.