Is This Maple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
I'm awful at identifying trees. I've been cutting this wood from a downed tree. Is it Maple? I'm in Massachusetts.

Thank you very much.

Wood.jpg

looks like hickory bark, or maybe even tree of heaven. A photo showinging end grain and view of the wood, not just bark would be alot more helpful in trying to make an ID.

Reactions: ScotO
looks a bit like the pin oak I planted outside my kitchen window (it's not missing )

burlap under that

Almost looks like a red oak or pin oak bark......need to see a split.

With only the bark, it looks like tulip poplar to me. Was it a very tall straight tree?

Another vote for hickory & request for end-grain shot. Pics of splits often help too.

Swamp Ash! Oh damn, that was another thread...

Reactions: Locust Post
Can you get any close??? Really your photos do not need to be so close to ID. There are many charactheristics to wood that your close-ups leave out.

Better lighting would help, too.

The size of the rays looks about right for maple, but the color is off and I can't tell whether that's the wood or the pic.

That don't look like maple to me. The color of the wood and the grain aren't right.......I'm thinking maybe tree of hell (ailanthus)

If you burn it and it smells like chit, that's what it is.

Reactions: nrford
The bark is a dead ringer for some of the Tree of Heaven images I'm seeing on Google.

Reactions: nrford
Status
Not open for further replies.