Is this (original?) installation of a Majestic L36A fireplace correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oldplace

Jun 13, 2015
Maryland
I bought a house (c. 1970) from the original owner. It has a Majestic L36A fireplace (pics attached) w/ fireplace doors that are old-looking, worn, brass-plated, rusted with non-functioning screen mesh. I removed the doors and began inquiring about replacements, learning about the importance of proper door type for ZC fireplaces, and how there should be high and low vents on the door assembly to allow for room air to enter the outer chamber of the fireplace box, to cool the box and ultimately escape from the top of the chimney. The problem is that the fireplace opening is framed on all sides with ~3/8" thick slate pieces and they cover the area where there might be (??) firebox vent openings. In looking at the L36A manual found online, I can't tell if there are vents in the front of the firebox. When I look at replacement doors indicated to be for the L36A, the web sites all show the size opening as 24x36 but, with the slate pieces, the opening is actually 23x33. Is anyone familiar enough with the Majestic L36A to know 1) if there are vent openings to the firebox in the front-top and front-bottom; 2) if the installation I have is correct/not correct; and 3) some suggested door replacements (make, model, vendor)? Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_7444.JPG IMG_7443.JPG IMG_7441.JPG IMG_7440.JPG IMG_7437.JPG IMG_7436.JPG IMG_7119.JPG IMG_7118.JPG IMG_7117.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked through the manual (which is not great) and dont see anything about vents. So i would guess this is an insulted box not air cooled but i cant be sure hopefully some one who knows the unit will come along to help you. But i will say at that age before spending any money on it i would recomend a full inspection of the unit and chimney. It is well past its expected life span and there may be issues with the condition of the box and or chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.