Is this Red Mulberry bark??

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
I've thought that I might be confusing small, dead Mulberry and Redbud. In the Audubon Guide, no pic of Redbud bark, plus the bark pics for other species in the book don't always match what I see here, anyway.
These two trees aren't big..maybe 8".
20191203_141314.jpg 20191203_141402.jpg

Sawset

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2015
Palmyra, WI
Around here, I don't remember mulberry ever having flakes of bark coming loose.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
Around here, I don't remember mulberry ever having flakes of bark coming loose.
Maybe when the trunks get bigger, that doesn't happen. Searching the 'net, I see some scaly bark. Also saw that the Rudbud bark looks like you can see more red/orange color where the surface bark splits apart..

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
Could it be Hop Hornbeam?
Well, searching its range, it could be. When I cut that one that fell over on the Black Locust stack, I'll get a good pic of the end grain and post it..

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I have some mulberry, and unless that’s a different variety, I’m pretty sure that’s not mulberry. I also have some redbuds, but they’re too immature to use for a bark comparison, so I’m no help there.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
I also have some redbuds, but they’re too immature to use for a bark comparison, so I’m no help there.
Looking at "The Guide," I see that they only get to 8" diameter. I'm sure I've gotten a few small dead ones out there, but I think the bark is different than these two..

hickoryhoarder

Feeling the Heat
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
I've never seen that bark. I wouldn't call it mulberry, and I definitely would not call it red bud.

Reactions: weatherguy

CincyBurner

Feeling the Heat
Mar 10, 2015
SW Ohio
Closeup pic of buds/ twigs ?
Branching habit - opposite or alternate ?
Mulberry will have yellow to orange heartwood.
Are twigs in pic 1 growing from trunk.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
Yes, they are. The tree has been uprooted for a while, and is throwing out shoots. I'll get some better pics today, and maybe cut it if I have time.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
Alternate branching. Here's a but pic from one of the shoots. Not sure if I'll get a chance to cut it today..might have to go pick up fifteen sheets of metal siding to use as stack covers...free! ==c
20191204_125953.jpg 20191204_131326.jpg 20191204_130128.jpg
Could be Black Willow too or an Elm
Elm was one thing I'm pondering. I remember that years ago when a tree guy was doing some work back there, he cut a small tree out of the way, and told me it was "Elm." We have quite a bit of Red (Slippery) Elm here, but the bark is much different.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
I also have some redbuds
I'm pretty sure that this is a Redbud, with the orange showing through the cracks in the bark. No flaky, scaly bark like on the example in question. I also saw a bonus 9" Red Elm I didn't know was there, about 100' behind the house. >>
20191204_155238.jpg 20191204_155427.jpg

CincyBurner

Feeling the Heat
Mar 10, 2015
SW Ohio
Not redbud: darker, slender twigs with very characteristic zig-zag pattern. Bark is more scaly and reddish overall. Leaves characteristic heart-shape.
I'm leaning toward white mulberry (Morus alba). https://www.invasive.org/browse/detail.cfm?imgnum=5397617
Look at leaf scar (big), and buds.

Woody Stover

Minister of Fire
Dec 25, 2010
Southern IN, from WI
Yep, could be White. They are in a clearing, which I saw mentioned somewhere, that Whites like. I'm not too worried about this invasive taking over since most of the property is pretty thick woods. Nonetheless, I'll remove them if I'm sure of the ID. Once I see leaves, I'll know for sure; White has shiny leaves. But I'll still try to ID it from what I have to work with. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/fnr/fnr_237.pdf

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
I have a white mulberry about 50 feet from my back door, which I get berries from every June. I will get a photo of it for you this weekend, Woody. I don't think mine looks nearly as 'shaggy' as what you show in the OP, but maybe my memory just isn't serving me well.

Reactions: Woody Stover