Is This Safe to Burn? Please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kickrick

Jan 10, 2024
St. Louis
Hi,

New to the site, and I’m already appreciative of what I’ve found. There’s no better resource online.

I moved into this home last year, and it was built in the 1920s. I didn’t use the stove/fireplace last winter, but, with a large winter storm coming, I hope I can use it to ride out the low temperatures.

landlord says the previous tenant used frequently. He says that a chimney professional came out to clean and check before I moved in. I burned a few logs today, and the smoke travelled up and out through the chimney just fine. It is not completely airtight

I’m looking for an identification and tips on usage.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Looks like a franklin stove to me. Not a great or even good stove but if it's been checked out i'd give it a go.

If you decide you want to burn more often i'd look into a replacement.

Looks like a franklin stove to me. Not a great or even good stove but if it's been checked out i'd give it a go.

If you decide you want to burn more often i'd look into a replacement.

He’s a renter I’m assuming with the talk of landlord. I sure wouldn’t be replacing a stove for the landlord on my dime.

He’s a renter I’m assuming with the talk of landlord. I sure wouldn’t be replacing a stove for the landlord on my dime.
Well depends, I was more thinking/saying if he wants to go more "full in" with burning and heating house with wood. Some landlords would be happy with a stove upgrade. I'm a landlord and if i owned that house and the tenant wanted to use it to heat the house i would seriously consider replacing the stove on my dime or perhaps giving some type of rent credit for a replacement.

Reactions: NickW
In an emergency situation, go ahead and use it but realize that it pulls a lot of cold air from outside into the house. It will tend to make rooms remote from the stove colder. Its also will gobble wood, At least 2/3rd of the heat content of the wood will go up the stack. It comes down to if you have choice between freezing and running the stove its worth it, but dont plan on it being a way of saving money.

Not to be a jerk but be sure you have smoke detectors and CO detector. It is his house and he said it was checked and OK but it's your life, CO is a silent killer.

Reactions: DonTee and bigealta
Not to be a jerk but be sure you have smoke detectors and CO detector. It is his house and he said it was checked and OK but it's your life, CO is a silent killer.
This 100%, i have 2 wall plug in co detectors, and combo fire/co hard wired detectors in basement.

Ha! That is an old Franklin stove. We had one of those in the house I grew up in, built in 1969. We had lots of fires in it when I was a kid, but it was a room heater more than anything, very similar to a fireplace in functionality. Wow those photos bring back memories. There are only a couple of detent positions on the draft control knob on the model my family had (I do not see it on the stove above, the model I'm familiar with had the draft control knob top and center above the doors) and I always found that things got smokey when I tried to dial it down as a kid so it needed to breathe to keep running and not smoke you out. And you are correct it is not airtight at all. In my opinion that will heat a room but it does function very much like an open fireplace. It's nice to look at and sit next to but it won't heat your house. Can keep a living room plenty warm though. Thanks for posting these pictures, makes me think of childhood. Good luck with it.

This is the model I'm more familiar with (note the draft control) https://www.google.com/search?sca_e...B&biw=1440&bih=705&dpr=2#imgrc=dqDUUCqwkkcbBM

Reactions: bigealta