Is this scenario possible?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
I checked the interior of some wood that's at least 5 years old seasoned, ash, cherry I split a couple in half and they showed 10% . The meter was a General, the wood is rock hard and heavy it's burning easily 12 to 15 hours and keeping the cat meter in the active zone.

Reactions: rottiman
10% in our climate with air drying is unlikely but not impossible

Reactions: rottiman
Pickup another meter. And check several times

Those meters are crazy for I bought my wood from GA (kilned dried 16 inch split oak) and it registered 10% after a lot of trouble in measuring it..I know I need to get another meter--mine is terrible...clancey

Did you measure it when it was at room temperature?

Did you measure it when it was at room temperature?
I did not outside in the lean two, the lean two has a metal roof and it seems like the wood is really dry but retains all its weight. Most wood in the woodshed with an asphalt roof is measuring at about 16 to 18%.

The measurement will go up of you let it go to room temperature before you split and measure. But I don't think it'd go higher than "good for burning". I.e. it's dry. Maybe not 10 pct, but dry nonetheless.

(Also, note that with these measurements, as they measure resistance, the highest reading you get out of a bunch is likely the correct one, because you're measuring with two probes instead of four.)

Seems to me that most of the cheaper meters are accurate to a point, I'm more inclined to think ball parking - so 15% can mean 15-18% moisture. 25% on the same meter means I dont burn it anyway.

Reactions: stoveliker
I checked the interior of some wood that's at least 5 years old seasoned, ash, cherry I split a couple in half and they showed 10% . The meter was a General, the wood is rock hard and heavy it's burning easily 12 to 15 hours and keeping the cat meter in the active zone.
My battery on my meter was suspect , due to how long it took to turn on. I changed the battery and my 10% readings are now 15.9% consistent , wood is burning great so all's well I suspect. THX for replies.

Reactions: bholler
Ah, thanks for the update. Makes sense; battery low, less voltage sourced, means lower current measured, and a lower mc reading.