Is this the best it will look?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ApacheDakota

Mar 24, 2021
MD
Hello all,
I'm new here and new to fireplace inserts. I, recently, had a Majestic Ruby propane insert installed. I'm not super thrilled with the appearance of the flames. I've had the company that installed it back out and he looked everything over and said that's how it's going to look. Some of the larger flame ports, in the back, don't allow the flames to join together to make a nice looking fire. They kind of look like fingers instead. The installer says it's because propane is heavier than gas and that's just how it's going to look. I'm just wondering if this is true, or if something can be done to make it look nicer? I thought maybe it was the air/propane ratio but he says no. I will try to post a picture of the flame, (site says my video file is too large) and I have it on the highest flame setting. Any advice is appreciated.

20210119_104940_HDR~3.jpg

OK. Flames look too blue & almost white.
Your statement about the ATF may have some merit.
If you close it down by 1/16" increments, you will get
a better flame presentation.
Unfortunately, after you make an adjustment to the shutter,
you may have to wait 15 - 20 minutes for the flames to normalize.
If you close it too far, the tips will get BLACK and the flames will
be a dirty orange.

Thank you for responding, DAKSY. I was able to load 2 shorter videos, if that helps.

Attachments

• 20210324_211539.mp4
    9.8 MB
  • 20210324_211529.mp4
    9.7 MB
I still think you could tweak the air shutter to get a better flame presentation.
The mixture looks to be to lean...

Thank you DAKSY. I'm assuming the air shutter valve is under the unit? The manual I have shows what the valve looks like but not where it's located.