Is this the Roxul everyone is using?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hydes2004

Dec 28, 2012
Rhode Island
Going to be insulating the top part of the liner inside the flue and also stuffing some in the smokeshelf and about the damper block-off plate

x5ee87.jpg

http://www.lowes.com/pd_138683-1278...goriesDisplayView&storeId=10151&storeId=10151

thanks plays with fire. you guys on this forum are great. i just noticed today my loading door on the winterwarm isnt quite sealing the way it should, i can fit a dollar bill from the outside through the crack. looks like ill be purchasing a gasket kit as well!

have a good day!

Sorry so short but it is good stuff! I got a ton of it and use it for everything. I will be lining my fireplace fire box with it and pushing my insert back and that will leave me with...........still a ton of it!:)

Wifey thinks I am nuts but I cut spilt and stack a lot for my self and uncle...so if I can do something to CSS less. Then I am happy! There is always room for modification!

My hot tub is insulated with Roxul. It was built in Canada, so they know a thing or two about insulation and energy preservation. Inside the tub walls are sealed bags of this stuff that "press fit" between the steel frame and the outer panels. It's good stuff! The tub rarely goes into a heating cycle when the cover is on, even on very cold days!

Thanks guys I'll be picking some up tomorrow. Instead of fabbing up a custom block off plate, I think I am going to shove the roxul up to the first flue tile from inside my firebox all the way down to the damper level. See any issues with this,?

With an insert that should do fine. Wear a mask. That is short fiber stuff and will hang out in your lungs until the day they bury you.

Reactions: etiger2007
I've had success with "fluffing" up my door gaskets. Use a wide flat-head screwdriver, or a small prybar, or even the head on your vacuum (I clean with my shopvac when cool)... you can plump the gasket back up and improve the seal. Kind of like fluffing up a pillow... not as good as new, but better than it was.

My old stove still has the original gasket... was used when I bought it, I ran it for 3 years without changing it, and it could probably keep going... although the seam where the two ends meet has developed a slight gap allowing in air.

I checked my local store online last night. They had a whole shelf full of it. Im sure I have more than what I need.

I got lucky and found some locally at a lumber yard, I insulated the sides of my insert, after doing this it takes the coals forever to burn down. Im going to stuff some in the top of my chimney around my liner.

Should I use this instead of a block off plate? It seems that they cost the same. Also, someone was mentioning particles flying I to the room?? Any update on this?

I'm going to use this as my block off plate...... Much easier ton construct. A big pair of scissors!!!!

Entire addition (1000 sq ft walls, attic, cath ceiling, crawl space rim joists, etc) is all roxul. Also used it to soundproof son's room (on wall separating his room from stove room). I believe this adds some firebreak too in that wall, but the firefighters here might sanity check that. Love this stuff. I've also heard it is critter resistant - at least more so than f/g...?
Edit - forgot to 2nd the comment by brotherbart. This stuff is "dusty" - mask for sure....

Surprised they had Roxul in stock at the store, had to order it at mine. Used the rest of mine to insulate my shed.
Both Lowes and HD have it here. Even had some marketing folks there doing some demos

Entire addition (1000 sq ft walls, attic, cath ceiling, crawl space rim joists, etc) is all roxul. Also used it to soundproof son's room (on wall separating his room from stove room). I believe this adds some firebreak too in that wall, but the firefighters here might sanity check that. Love this stuff. I've also heard it is critter resistant - at least more so than f/g...?
Edit - forgot to 2nd the comment by brotherbart. This stuff is "dusty" - mask for sure....

If you find something substantial about critter resistant, ping me. To date, the only insulation I've read about that is critter proof is cementous foam (Air Krete) which doesn't have enough installers to be remotely price competitive.

I'm going to use this as my block off plate...... Much easier ton construct. A big pair of scissors!!!!

Just know that it's not air tight, which is one of the bigger gains of a block off plate. Roxul alone will just slow the heat loss a bit.

That is Roxul indeed. COntrary to what others have said, I didn't find my Roxul was dusty at all. Just don't tear it. Use an old break knife to cut it. YOu can carve it out to the shapes you want.

It is a Canadian product that has taken off in popularity over the past few years. It is fireproof ("rock" wool and withstands heat of 2100. I was at a home show and they left blow torch on it all weekend) and can also isolate sound fairly well too. My entire basement exterior wall is insulated with it on top of 1.5 inches of spray foam. Inspectors said it was a significant firewall and drywall was not needed (for my workshop).

ANdrew

I have a Roxul block off plate to but in the summer Im going to put some non-galvanized sheet metal up there to reflect the heat better.

If you find something substantial about critter resistant, ping me. To date, the only insulation I've read about that is critter proof is cementous foam (Air Krete) which doesn't have enough installers to be remotely price competitive.

I will keep that in mind. I wish I could find something really substantial - I cautiously call it "critter resistant". Word of mouth seems to support that to some extent (e.g. seen it described as "critter-hated" in some of the discussions around the net). From the Roxul FAQ (you've probably already seen) -- http://www.roxul.com/stone+wool/faq:
Are Roxul products rodent resistant?

There is no test method to determine whether or not any product is rodent resistant. Roxul’s reputation as a rodent resistant insulation is mainly based on word of mouth and lack of negative feedback from numerous customers who use our products in “cottage country”. The majority of these applications are exposed floors, which are mainly above grade allowing rodents easy access to the insulation. As Roxul insulation has a higher density than other insulations and a multi-directional fiber orientation, rodents tend to avoid burrowing and nesting in Roxul insulation.

I'd pick Roxul over fiberglass just based on my experience working with it, extra R value, etc. - anything it might do to discourage the critters is an added bonus. I might try an experiment one day - put a small plastic bag of roxul and small bag of fiberglass at the end of a wood pile and see which one the mice like better (based on what I find in the mouse houses later)..._g

Reactions: Swedishchef
I used the Safe-n-sound, since I didn't really need insulation, just fireproof air blocking, and the safe-n-sound is more dense. At the time it didn't matter but with the retroactive tax credits would have made the Comfortbatt a better buy.
Safe-n-sound has no R-rating,so it doesn't qualify, although it obviously works as insulation.

TE

Status
Not open for further replies.