Is this too much creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodman85

Oct 2, 2017
Hello, getting ready to install stove and cannot get all the creosote off. Will be installing liner and will try to insulate as much as I can with liner kit (I think the first few feet where it's going through damper I won't beable to insulate due to thickness). Not sure if it's still ok to install liner with some creosote behind it, did use brush to get as much off as I could. The creosote in the picture below is pretty much just in small spots like this all the way down. Thanks for any help!
20171011_122127.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your fine, line it and enjoy.

Someone may correct me but if you use a UL listed liner with insulation you can actually gain zero clearance to combustibles. So after cleaning the chimney you can add the liner w/ insulation and you're good.

Someone may correct me but if you use a UL listed liner with insulation you can actually gain zero clearance to combustibles. So after cleaning the chimney you can add the liner w/ insulation and you're good.
Zero clearance to combustibles with 4" of masonry between the liner and the combustible material.

Hello, getting ready to install stove and cannot get all the creosote off. Will be installing liner and will try to insulate as much as I can with liner kit (I think the first few feet where it's going through damper I won't beable to insulate due to thickness). Not sure if it's still ok to install liner with some creosote behind it, did use brush to get as much off as I could. The creosote in the picture below is pretty much just in small spots like this all the way down. Thanks for any help!
View attachment 201166
No that is not clean enough it needs cleaned much better.

He says he can't get it any cleaner how do you clean creosote that the brush won't catch, any tricks of the trade Bholler?

He says he can't get it any cleaner how do you clean creosote that the brush won't catch, any tricks of the trade Bholler?
Rotary cleaner with chains on it to start if that doesn't work chemicals or even removing the liners.