Is this too much creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
New stove, new operator.
Fairly dry wood, though I've very likely burned a few pieces that weren't as dry as I thought...
Being new, Ive been experimenting, and do admit to burning some slow smokey fires during my "training"...

I've changed my ways, and am now able to keep the glass pretty much clean, where as in the beginning, I had to work hard to clean it every morning.

Flue is a total of 14'.
I've been burning pretty much around the clock for the last three weeks, and played with it for a week before that, so about a month.

Volume of creosote is just under 1 cup.

Rob

ry=400.jpg

ry=400.jpg

Not bad, especially for a lot of slow burning.

with your knowledge, it will only ever get better from here. not great, but not terrible either. overall, good start.

pen

Pretty good, Rob !!

Aw heckfire, I'd just toss that right back into the firebox, it ain't worth keepin'.

You got no problems so far as I can see.

Rob, It all depends. Put 2 small pieces in your mouth....Does it taste sweet or a bad coffe bean taste?

I had about 3 cups after about 3 full weeks. New stove, 35' of chimney and not great oak. So i would think that's pretty good.

You should be okay...especially if you are cleaning it out regularly. Just keep the wood dry and fires hot! Definitely put that creosote into your firebox and you will see why chimney fires are bad - it will burn HOT and rapid.

Thanks all for your responses!

I was less than pleased when I looked up the flue and saw that mess...
After cleaning it though, It was good to know that it wasn't "the worst case" anyone had ever seen!

My flue is short and easy to clean, so I'll do it very regularly until I can get it down to near zero creosote.

Rob

14' flue if that includes stove +chimney pipe is pretty short run so the amount shown might not as good as it seems. The best thing I see about it is it looks dry and crusty. I'm of the opinion that kind of creosote is not too dangerous. Its the tacky wet looking stuff you need to watch out for.

14’ flue if that includes stove +chimney pipe is pretty short run so the amount shown might not as good as it seems. The best thing I see about it is it looks dry and crusty. I’m of the opinion that kind of creosote is not too dangerous. Its the tacky wet looking stuff you need to watch out for.

The distance from the rop of the stove to the top of the flue (not counting the flue cap) is 14'.

Dry and crusty is pretty accurate.
I tossed some of the creosote into a very hot stove this morning to see what would happen...not much happened.
No big flare ups, no scary "poof" just sat there (on red hot coals) caught, burned a little, then smoldered for a while and very slowly burned down.
Took about 10 minutes for it to dissapear.

Rob

Not bad . . . I would be a little more concerned as to why there was a wireless computer mouse in your chimney. ;) :)

48rob said:
Dry and crusty is pretty accurate.
I tossed some of the creosote into a very hot stove this morning to see what would happen...not much happened.

Rob

That "type" of creosote doesn't have much "fuel" left in it. Sticky and gooey is a different critter. I don't think you are doing too bad and considering that you have/do recognize your short falls - I would expect your results to improve. When you get to the point that you get the same amount from a years worth of burn - you know you have hit the sweet spot.

I sweep after each cord and get about that much. But I'm pretty much doing cold starts every night instead of 24x7 so that probably generates more creosote I'd guess.

PNWBurner said:
But I'm pretty much doing cold starts every night instead of 24x7 so that probably generates more creosote I'd guess.

I don't know that I would assume this to be true. From the beginning stage of the fire to the end of the fire, you should really be back to where you started (as far as the flue is concerned).

PNWBurner said:
I sweep after each cord and get about that much. But I'm pretty much doing cold starts every night instead of 24x7 so that probably generates more creosote I'd guess.

That much for a cord of wood is great. That would then be 4-5 cups for a full winter, which is very reasonable.

Instead of creating a new topic, I figured I would ask in this thread.

I have 27 ft of chimney (all lined with 6" flex liner). I had a new Jotul Rockland insert installed on Dec 7th and once my 3 break-in fires were done, I have been basically burning 24/7. I used a soot-eater to clean my liner. I didn't measure how much I got out, but I would guess it was between 1/2 gal and 1 gal of creosote. My wood is a mix of birch, cherry, and beech - I think). I cut and split this in the summer of 09 and had it stacked uncovered since then. One row 4ft high and pile was going east to west. (If any of that matters.) I try to keep the fire between 400 ad 650 - probably closer to 500. I have probably burned 3/4 to a cord of wood. I have a couple of questions:

1. does this sound like too much? The chimney is between the house and garage for 1/5 stories - then outside for about 1 story.

2. My guess is that I turn down the primary air too much at night. I fill up the stove and after letting it run for about 20 minutes, I turn down the primary air as
far as it will let me. Any suggestions here?

I have been reading through a lot of threads and this seems like the closest to what I wanted to ask.

Thanks

wannabegreener said:
Instead of creating a new topic, I figured I would ask in this thread.

I have 27 ft of chimney (all lined with 6" flex liner). I had a new Jotul Rockland insert installed on Dec 7th and once my 3 break-in fires were done, I have been basically burning 24/7. I used a soot-eater to clean my liner. I didn't measure how much I got out, but I would guess it was between 1/2 gal and 1 gal of creosote. My wood is a mix of birch, cherry, and beech - I think). I cut and split this in the summer of 09 and had it stacked uncovered since then. One row 4ft high and pile was going east to west. (If any of that matters.) I try to keep the fire between 400 ad 650 - probably closer to 500. I have probably burned 3/4 to a cord of wood. I have a couple of questions:

1. does this sound like too much? For 3/4 cord you have a gal???? That seems excessive !! The chimney is between the house and garage for 1/5 stories - then outside for about 1 story.

2. My guess is that I turn down the primary air too much at night. I fill up the stove and after letting it run for about 20 minutes, I turn down the primary air as
far as it will let me. Any suggestions here? Do you just close it down? If so I would suggest you do it in stages, letting the fire stabilize, after 20 (with the wood all charred) down to half, 10-15 mins later down to 1/4, then 10 - 15 mins later all the way.
I have been reading through a lot of threads and this seems like the closest to what I wanted to ask.

Thanks

I do believe that most people find they have better success closing down in stages. I am wondering, how long has the wood been seasoned? I also think, and I am sure another owner of the same stove that you have will chime in here, but it sounds like you are on the lower end of the temp scale, and burning hotter would also help. I am assuming you are giving stove top temps there.

I don't turn it down in steps. I was just getting the wood chared and then shutting it down all the way then off to be. I'll try to do it in stages. I have also been trying to get it hotter. The temp is from a magnetic thermometer in the center of the slot where the air comes out. I don't have a moisture meter so I can't say for sure how dry the wood is. It has been cut/split/stacked for about 18 months, but it is uncovered. I'll see if I can get a moisture meter to see what this is at.

Thanks for the pointers. Next time I will measure how much I am getting out.

firefighterjake said:
Not bad . . . I would be a little more concerned as to why there was a wireless computer mouse in your chimney. ;) :)

It happens when you have to much draft. Starts sucking small things into the intake.

Does not look bad at all. By next year it will be even less as you burn better wood and learn the stove better. Heck, it does not matter if you get that much every 2 weeks if you run a brush thru it! ;-) Enjoy the new stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.