Is this Vermont casting 1979 missing parts ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinaj

Feb 22, 2015
Brookline nh
hello, I recently aquired this Vermont castings and found out its to small for my house . I'm going to sell it , but was wondering if it's missing anything ? There is no grate or Ash pan inside .
Can anyone tell me about this stove so I can pass on the info to the future buyer ? Is this Vermont casting 1979 missing parts ? Is this Vermont casting 1979 missing parts ?

I owned a similar one and they did not have either a grate or an ash pan. The cast iron rails sticking up from the bottom in photo 2 are used as a grate. You are supposed to have ash or sand cover the bottom of the stove and up to the top of the rails. That helps insulate heat from the bottom.

You shovel coals/ash out with a shovel that was supplied with the original stove and shovel only to the top of the rails.

I had a VC Resolute which was supposed to kick out 34,000 BTU as I recall - maybe more. It was OK when I cranked it to 550 deg but lower than that, it was kinda lame. Well built but the newer designs are much more efficient. I'm guessing it would work OK for 1,200' reasonably insulated house. The problem with sq ft is that there are WAY too many variables (insulation/location/draftiness/ life style) to use it for anything.

VC Resoulute 1 . Great stove in its day but not as efficient as modern stoves. There is a PDF of the owners manual in the files section of this website.

Agree, inside looks complete. The front door handle is missing the wood insert. Outside is very clean for the age, looks like somebody repainted it recently.

I grew up with this, my Dad still has it. Its a small stove rated for under 1500 sq ft of heating capacity if I recall. He is using it in a 1600 sq house and its marginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.