Is this Walnut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enduring

Burning Hunk
Feb 29, 2020
Central Iowa
Husband cut this down last early summer when he was cutting down an old fence line over grown. So it looks like walnut to me, but I'm not sure about the bark, I thought it would be darker. Is this walnut?

516D27F3-4E59-4611-868A-24886B34D9F2.jpeg F9886F5A-ECB9-4077-A32B-F5F313D50D3F.jpeg A6D7E117-BCD4-46FE-94ED-85F80732796A.jpeg

Ok, thanks for the information on this log. Is mulberry the one that pops and sparkles in the stove? What is it like as a fuel for the winter?

Reactions: JimBear
LOL, I just told DH that it was suggested the trunk was mulberry, and he said "thats not mulberry". Well, I think once we cut it up we'll know, and I'll update this thread. I'm not taking sides!

Ok, thanks for the information on this log. Is mulberry the one that pops and sparkles in the stove? What is it like as a fuel for the winter?
It will pop some but nothing crazy. It is great firewood, depending on your split size it will take 12-24 months to dry properly. If it’s not split by now you likely won’t have properly seasoned wood till the fall of 2022. My 2“-3” splits seasoned in 12 months, they were stacked in full sun/wind but a cord of small splits makes for frequent reloading & sometimes makes it difficult to control your fires. My 4”-6” splits are better for longer burns & have taken 18 - 24 months to dry stacked in full sun/wind.

Reactions: enduring
Kinda figured, hopefully they’re his initials and not something else? I have some mulberry in my stacks it’s pretty good wood

• Haha
Reactions: EPS and enduring
Mulberry is very good heat throwing fuelwood and it does spark, especially when you open the stove door to reload, it's like the Fourth of July lol!

I have spent a lot of time on Garden Web forum (now absorbed into Houzz) over the years and "DH" stands for "Dear Husband"
My wife has called me many things in 24 years but Dear Husband was never one of them ;)

It closely resembles black walnut. We don't have mulberry here in the NC mountains so I have never messed with it.