Isle Royale griddle gasket question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
Seems that while my heating season with the Isle Royale has been going good, I have been thinking the burns have been too quick between fill ups. We only top load and I noticed that the griddle contacts metal and inspecting the gasket it seems a little worn.

Last year about this time I bought the Isle Royale used and within 24hrs had it regasketed,cleaned, resprayed and burning on my hearth. Looking at parts guides I bought 1/4" rope gasket for the griddle area and it worked well.

This week I was really pondering wood consumption and started looking at similar top loaders. The Vermont Castings line of top loaders uses steel wire covered rope gasket 5/16". Yesterday I was on a mission to get me some but, the stove shops in Gaylord & Cheboygan all closed at 2:00 so I went to Petoskey to the Meyer Ace and picked up a sack of Rutland 5/16" Graphite Glas Rope gasket.

I went for 5/16 instead of the 1/4 because the bag said 1/4-5/16 so why not? It fit and now the griddle is not metal to metal and its resting on gasket. Last night the stove worked very well and I had oodles of ashes leftover, could have ran it hotter.

So, since that griddle top is an active area on my stove is that steel covered rope gasket a good substitution for more durability? I know VC is running it in the same application, is there any thoughts why it might not be a good Isle Royale fix?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    236.7 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.