It pays to ask, part 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailanthus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2012
Shen Valley, VA
So a few more pictures on the scrounge I got into about 2 weeks ago
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/it-pays-to-ask.106155/
The locust:

2013-02-22_07-31-27_702.jpg

This pile is mostly cherry and some walnut, just started splitting a bit:
2013-02-22_07-31-57_50.jpg

I went back out today to finish getting what I could from the big BL. That's only an 18" bar, but still... The trunks too big for me & it's got quite a bit of rot, so that'll just stay where it is. I did get the second half of the trunk after it divided. The second trunk was ~24" & I had to use a couple of site-cut wedges and luckily managed to avoid pinching the bar.
2013-02-28_14-59-55_105.jpg

So I had gotten most of the easy stuff already and I was just going to get the rest of the locust today, and this is what I found (hopefully the panorama will turn out ok). The guys moved a TON of 6-10" diameter (some larger) mostly cherry & walnut trees out along the edge of the site with the grapple. I'll still get some more since it's such relatively easy pickins - still have to wheelbarrow it over to where I can park the trailer. It's still more than I'll be able to get to so hopefully someone else will be able to use it.
2013-02-28_13-33-32_504.jpg

Attachments

• 2013-02-22_07-31-45_142.jpg
    2013-02-22_07-31-45_142.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 116
Wondering what should I be going for first (after the locust, of course). Cherry or walnut?

Wow! I am envious.

jealous!!

Easy Pickin's...Take what you can get while you can.

Reactions: BobUrban
I imagine Thistle would say, "walnut", but her would be turning it into furniture, bowls and other cool projects. I will say, "ease of access" would dictate my strategy. Both Cherry and Walnut will season at about the same rate and offer similar BTU's - both being above average so take it on the FIFO principle until it is gone or you run out of storage space.

As tough as it will be to get back at it day after day I know there would come a time that I regretted not taking more at some point down the road. May even be time to rent, beg, borrow, steal, a truck/trailer and some help. This is just too dog gone great of a score that is too close to home to pass.

Just my opinion.

Reactions: etiger2007
I love a story with a happy ending! If the cherry is easy go for it only because it smells soooooo good when it burns!==c

Very. Nice. Score. :eek: That panoramic is drool-worthy.

Awesome! Good on you.
I too would go for the Cherry, unless it was harder to get at.
No chance the excavator operator could be begged/cajoled/bribed into loading a few logs on your trailer for ya? If they need to get rid of the wood it'd help things move a lot faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.