It pays to ask...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ailanthus

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2012
Shen Valley, VA
I noticed a large lot being cleared just over the hill from us. Couldn't really see too well from the road & I assumed it was a lot of scrubby stuff. So last week I finally stopped by when I saw the guys doing some burning and asked if there would be any firewood available. Sure, whatever I want -- WOW!! When I came back later to see what all was available, there was a monster black locust, about 36" that divided into 2 main trunks ~22" in diameter, just the right size for the 025 to handle :). It keeps getting better, the one main trunk is completely suspended in the air, so I can cut the entire thing without so much as thinking about the bar pinching - it's completely solid the whole way up so far. It keeps getting better - the guys have actually been pulling out the large stuff from the burn/scrub pile for me and setting it aside with the large grapple-thing. So far I've gotten 2 nice loads of cherry. Over the next few days I'll be spending every spare minute getting the locust along with a nice-sized walnut, some more cherry and a white oak trunk that's got a fair amount of rot, but still plenty of good wood. The only difficulty is I have to park about 100 yards away and wheelbarrow it through some clay-mud, but believe me, I'm not complaining and I'm definitely getting a good workout.

2013-02-19_16-50-09_681.jpg
I already removed 2 ~14" cherry trees from this section, still a fair amount there. Everything has been really straight with very little branching - perfect!

2013-02-19_16-48-55_436.jpg
From a distance, you can see the large trunks and there's actually a lot of pretty nice wood in the scrub pile too, but I think they'll probably burn that before I get everything else hauled off.

2013-02-19_16-49-14_619.jpg
The largest trunks in the distance are ~22" BL. i'm guessing it was 40ft long?

2013-02-19_16-49-56_214.jpg
There's going to be a dozen Krispy Kremes on the seat of this thing in a day or two!

Attachments

• 2013-02-19_16-49-33_980.jpg
    2013-02-19_16-49-33_980.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 2013-02-19_16-49-48_71.jpg
    2013-02-19_16-49-48_71.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 140
Awesome score! And so easy to get permission to take it, that's great.

Great score!

I am very jealous of all of your black locust! Nice work buddy!

Yep I have had to wheelbarrow many times. You will forget all about that little extra work in a few weeks when you are staring at that nice pile.

Well done!

Wow, what a score! :cool:

Nice score. What they gonna build there in yer back yard? Hog confinment?

Awesome isn't the word here......I'm thinking something like reFrigginDONKULOUS!!! The Big Guy in the Sky was looking down on you!
You're exactly right, it pays to ask. You never know what you may get out of that one question!!

Nice, good idea with the krispy kreams, I saw a couple guys cutting some trees down in my neighborhood a couple weeks ago, asked if I could take the good stuff and they said sure, they even stacked it by the side of the road for me after they cut it up. Got about 2 cords, wouldnt have got it if I didnt ask.

Super score +
Wood cutters heaven ;)

Nice score. What they gonna build there in yer back yard? Hog confinment?

The word is, it's gonna be some more townhouses. It's about 3 miles from me, so not exactly in my backyard, but still a pity.

I am very jealous of all of your black locust! Nice work buddy!

We can work something out if you like - that 3 year old oak you gave me last year burned pretty well, too!

I'm back out to haul 2 more loads that I wheel-barrowed out after dark last night. Yes, it is 4:30 am.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I see a lot of locust driving around the valley, way to score some.

The hike is better than a long drive with $4gal fuel. Great score close to home and cheaper to fuel you than a truck!!

Happiness is a giant score close to home!==c Nice work. All that work pushing that score home will be just a distant, fuzzy memory when you sitting cozy and warm in you house a few winters from now.

I will always ask if I see wood laying around, they worst they can say is no. I stopped when a tree company was cutting down a big oak about 2 blocks away from my house and asked if I would be able to get some of the wood. They guy said ya take whatever you want and then asked where I lived, i said 2 blocks away and he said give me your address and he delivered 3 dumptruck load (bucked to 12 -18 inch lengths) to my driveway.

Reactions: ScotO and pen
Nice score and good on you for paying the guys back

Maybe instead of CripsyCream you could try Sam Adams and see if the guy in the track hoe couldnt drop 10 or 12 good logs over by the road??? Just sayin.

cheaper to fuel you than a truck!!

Not too sure about that ...
Would definitely rather work myself a little harder & drive less, for sure! I'm hoping to get back out there this afternoon again.

well you gotta put away a lot of cheeseburgers to match 4$ a gallon in a vehicle getting 12-15mpg I think

Ask and you shall receive...

Reactions: ScotO
Nice - Love that valley locust!
If you want, I'll bring the huskee down this summer and help ya split that stuff up - so getcha a big pile!

Status
Not open for further replies.