It Was A Long Way To Carry Wood, In The Snow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
Under normal circumstances I would have driven right up to it, but this time I thought I would get stuck. It was good exercise for my legs.
IMG_5058.jpg

So I carried it all out to the trail, just to haul and stack it somewhere else in the woods! I suppose I could have stacked it right where I cut it, and left it, but I have trouble keeping track of so many little stacks of wood.
IMG_5060.jpg

As I carried the wood this morning, the east wind kept me company by howling in the treetops, in advance of the next winter storm.
IMG_5062.jpg

After a couple days worth of cutting, this stack is big enough that I shouldn't be able to lose track of it. Time to move along to the other stacks.
IMG_5063.jpg

Quads great pictures again, what type of wood did you cut and are you suppose to get more snow.

zap

Hey Quads.
Slow down, I'm getting tired just watching you.
I have 1/2 dozen or so trees to cut & haven't got to them yet.
Life keeps getting in the way.

Great pictures, keep'em coming, they motivate several of us. :)

zapny said:
Quads great pictures again, what type of wood did you cut and are you suppose to get more snow.

zap
That's mostly black oak and a little bit of white oak.

We're under a winter storm warning for tonight through Christmas. So far nothing except a strong east wind. I'm warming up by the stove before milking the cows. The latest update says we should get 1/4 inch of ice and 6-12 inches of snow by Saturday.

bogydave said:
Hey Quads.

Can't slow down, I don't know what else I would do! If we get this next snowstorm, that might stop me for awhile at least. Although, I do have a few trees in the yard I've been saving for just such a circumstance...................

quads said:
bogydave said:
Hey Quads.

Can't slow down, I don't know what else I would do! If we get this next snowstorm, that might stop me for awhile at least. Although, I do have a few trees in the yard I've been saving for just such a circumstance...................

Quads is this your area?

http://www.weather.com/weather/map/interactive/53701?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

zap

Quads,

How much land do you have? (I wish I had alot of land) I do enjoy your pics.

Jack Straw said:
Quads,

How much land do you have? (I wish I had alot of land) I do enjoy your pics.
The area where I do most of my firewood cutting is 80 acres (a tornado went through it in 2004). Otherwise it's a combination of several of our old family farms, (and counting the fields, Christmas trees, a bluff, cow pastures) my family owns approximately 500 acres.

Hey, quads! You sound like the squirrels we have around here who forget when they buried nuts! :) Nice pics! :)

Seriously, ask Santa to get you one of those lesser expensive GPS units where you can log your longitude/latitude to locate your wood piles. :)

We are planning a trip from Milwaukee to Marshfield soon - looks like we will have to watch the weather close. Hubby & I were out late yesterday afternoon - slid around quite a bit - possibly time to get new tires on the SUV before a trip to Marshfield.

Shari

PS LOVE your sled!

Shari

I wonder where that sled will be on Xmas eve? :)

Shari said:
Hey, quads! You sound like the squirrels we have around here who forget when they buried nuts! :) Nice pics! :)

Seriously, ask Santa to get you one of those lesser expensive GPS units where you can log your longitude/latitude to locate your wood piles. :)

We are planning a trip from Milwaukee to Marshfield soon - looks like we will have to watch the weather close. Hubby & I were out late yesterday afternoon - slid around quite a bit - possibly time to get new tires on the SUV before a trip to Marshfield.

Shari
We got 2 inches of sleet and snow last night, now it's a very light freezing rain. Police scanner is busy with cars in the ditch. So, if you're heading to Marshfield you'll be going through my area and it's pretty slippery around here right now! Slippery everywhere else too I would imagine.

I do sometimes feel like that squirrel! This may sound funny, but I have never actually seen a GPS unit, other than pictures in the Cabellas catalog.

Ha! I must say that I've gained a new aprreciation for that old sled since rescuing it from the junkpile. If the toymaker wants to borrow it tonight, he's welcome to it!

quads said:
Ha! I must say that I've gained a new aprreciation for that old sled since rescuing it from the junkpile. If the toymaker wants to borrow it tonight, he's welcome to it!

I thought maybe you'd go house to house delivering firewood to all of the members of Hearth.com

quads said:
I do sometimes feel like that squirrel! This may sound funny, but I have never actually seen a GPS unit, other than pictures in the Cabellas catalog.

quads,

Check out geocashe or geocashing on the web: http://www.geocaching.com/about/

When you get it set up just send me the coordinates and I can come 'find' your woodpiles hidden in the woods! :)

Shari

Shari said:
quads said:

quads,

Check out geocashe or geocashing on the web: http://www.geocaching.com/about/

When you get it set up just send me the coordinates and I can come 'find' your woodpiles hidden in the woods! :)

Shari

Do you geocache Shari? I'm an avid cacher up here in Maine myself.

Jack Straw said:
quads said:

I thought maybe you'd go house to house delivering firewood to all of the members of Hearth.com
Well, if anybody in my area is ever in a desperate for firewood situation, don't be afraid to ask! I can usually spare a little.

Geocaching sounds like fun! (I am the organizer of our ATV club's scavenger hunt every Spring and I have a lot of fun doing it, although it's without GPS.) Seems like I read on the DNR's website that they have something similar to geocaching for ATVers, some sort of contest, on the Tuscobia ATV trail up north.

Anyway, I can tell you how to find all my woodpiles the old-fashioned way! Go east from the yard to where you meet the snowmobile trail. Turn north off the snowmobile trail at the corner of the first irrigation field, past the red pine plantation, then east on the mushroom road (trail), to the old Pinery Road (stage coach trail).......etc. etc. etc. Ha ha!

No, we don't geocashe here but would like to get into it. Quads, sounds like you got the start of a great geocashing group of ATV'ers!

Shari

quads said:
Geocaching sounds like fun! (I am the organizer of our ATV club's scavenger hunt every Spring and I have a lot of fun doing it, although it's without GPS.) Seems like I read on the DNR's website that they have something similar to geocaching for ATVers, some sort of contest, on the Tuscobia ATV trail up north.

Anyway, I can tell you how to find all my woodpiles the old-fashioned way! Go east from the yard to where you meet the snowmobile trail. Turn north off the snowmobile trail at the corner of the first irrigation field, past the red pine plantation, then east on the mushroom road (trail), to the old Pinery Road (stage coach trail).......etc. etc. etc. Ha ha!

Then turn south at the oak with the squirrel in it............ :lol:

PapaDave said:
quads said:

Then turn south at the oak with the squirrel in it............ :lol:
That's about right!

Status
Not open for further replies.