It's never happened in March before!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Apple in March.JPG

So today I took this picture of some apple blossoms all ready to open. To me this is the real pretty stage of the apple blossom. But what is really odd is that this normally happens the first week of May in our area! So this we can say is one month early. Actually, I found the first ones like this picture early this week.

Earlier in the week I stayed up all one night building fires to try to save some fruit. It appears we saved most of the peaches and the apples are okay if we don't get a hard freeze right away. If we do, I very well may stay up another night building fires.

btw, we also had May flowers for the first time in March along with many others.

Reactions: quads
The cycle of blossoms is way off. The forsythia is usually first to pop around here and it signals the start of shad fishing. The quince and apples are a few weeks later. All are in bloom now. It is too cold for hummingbirds to show around here, and they are usually around the quince and crabapples. Not this year.

This odd weather is definitely playing havoc with the crops. I read that Michigan's asparagus crop is pretty messed up. I'm wondering about cherries too. Getting pickers in time with this messed up season is also going to be a challenge.

The cycle of blossoms is way off. The forsythia is usually first to pop around here and it signals the start of shad fishing..

Our forsythias have bloomed and gone. The dogwoods are in full bloom and headed out. Redbuds too. Haven't seen it in the thirty years here. Weather wienies say it was the warmest March since 1945.

Where are all those people that were smarting off about global warming the last two winters? Kinda quiet now aren't they? But it will blow another theory too. Science guys have been saying for a few years that the length of daylight was what made trees and plants do what they do. Try again science guys. Our oaks are in full bloom and that don't usually happen till late April. They are the last.

It can also dangerous when weather warms too early. People venture out to do their watersports and don't realize the water temps are still cold. Falling out of a canoe or kayak on a rare 80 degree day in March is not the same as an 80 degree day in June.

Hmm... the snow is melting at a decent rate here but it's going to be a while till stuff starts turning green. Low 40s in the day is about it so far.

I hear you Dennis! Here our Forsythia's are in bloom and the lilacs are almost in bloom and last night we had a hard frost with temps in the 20's.. Now I wonder if this will do damage to all the fresh buds on all the vegetation here..

Ray

We're not like Nate . . . but it's funny to hear you guys talking about flowers in bloom and see trees with leaves on them . . . we're just getting buds on the trees here, the grass is just starting to show signs of greening up and my croquses are finally blooming . . .

Our apple and cherry blossoms are done. They opened up a couple weeks ago...the trees were LOADED with them this year...more than I can ever remember. Going to be interesting to see what happens this fall.

So long as those apples were past blossom they should do okay.

Today we found some fiddlehead ferns. Again, those usually show up early in May. Dandelions all over the place and have been for a while now. Lots and lots of folks mowing grass. Today while I was splitting wood there were some more black flies. Normally that happens late April.

Thought I had posted this but guess not?
This is my backyard from this afternoon...

538274_405915389437771_100000579410319_1417896_1141239455_n.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Enjoy it Nate. There are many folks in the lower 48 who wished they had some of that this past winter.

Enjoy it Nate. There are many folks in the lower 48 who wished they had some of that this past winter.

My hand is up . . . although my wife keeps trying to pull it back down. My dream is to head to northern Maine when I retire . . . her dream is to head south out of state . . . most likely we'll end up right where we are as a compromise.

Earlier in the week I stayed up all one night building fires to try to save some fruit. It appears we saved most of the peaches and the apples are okay if we don't get a hard freeze right away. If we do, I very well may stay up another night building fires.

Sounds like a good night to me!

Can't see them that well in the photo, but there are moose tracks all over the place. I need to set up a big snare with some winch cable and catch one. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a domesticated moose, go for rides like it was a horse? Would get some attention, that's for sure hahaha!
Kinda odd it's done in this area with caribou/reindeer but not moose.

Can't see them that well in the photo, but there are moose tracks all over the place. I need to set up a big snare with some winch cable and catch one. Wouldn't it be awesome to have a domesticated moose, go for rides like it was a horse? Would get some attention, that's for sure hahaha!

Mooseinharness.jpg

The picture shown above is actually fake . . . but here are a few links to actual moose that were used . . . in Maine (Canadian Moose) and in Alaska.

Canadamoose.jpg

http://www.mainememory.net/artifact/9595/

http://www.alaskahistorystore.org/p194.html

We have had the warmest March on record here...and that is saying something for Arkansas. We have already had some 90s and I am
not looking forward to summer this year.... Hope everyone is doing well. I havent had time to get on here in a bit.

Keep up the good work guys and be safe out there.

Not so sure I'd want to try domesticating a moose!

Status
Not open for further replies.