It's the "Name that tree" game.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephiedoll

Burning Hunk
Feb 10, 2008
omaha, ne
Leaves  small.jpgTree small.jpgTrunk 1 small.jpgTrunk 2 small.jpg I worry about it being Tree of heaven but just does not look right. It will flower soon, I think white, and the leaves turn more of a red after that.

Well stephiedoll, 60 some views and you seem have our panel stumped so far! Congratulations! Doesn't happen often. Don't worry, I'm sure someone will come along and "Name That Tree" very soon!==c

Okay, I'll name that tree Charly.

Reactions: ScotO
Hmm...Better look at the leaves/ flowers might do it.

I'll get some more pictures of the leaves in a bit. I was starting to think nobody like me :-(

It looks like some type of fruit tree, maybe an ornamental that got out of hand.? The leaves look like cherry to me, and it flowers. Was it a volunteer?

I think Webby3650 has got it looks like cherry bark to me:)

It is a volunteer. Came up in the middle of a Lilac bush so cut the bush out to see which one to keep. It should have flowers soon so I will add some pictures then. Could be cherry, have not seem many of them and don't remember what the fruit looks like

Attachments

• 20130512_173153 Small.jpg
    20130512_173153 Small.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 20130512_173200 Small.jpg
    20130512_173200 Small.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 137
  • 20130512_173207 Small.jpg
    20130512_173207 Small.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 20130512_173243 Small.jpg
    20130512_173243 Small.jpg
    287.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 20130512_173302 Small.jpg
    20130512_173302 Small.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 147
I may have found a winner. Still working on it though and I am very thankful for all the help here.

Purple-leaf Sand Cherry (P. x cistena): This small, delicate tree grows 7 to 10 feet tall with a slightly smaller spread. The single, pinkish flowers are fragrant and appear after the leaves in mid- to late spring. Leaves are reddish purple through the summer.
okamecherryw.jpg

'Okame' Cherry
Jack Scheper ©2004 Floridata.com

Yes, cherry. The saplings in our yard are blossoming right now. The flowers smell like cherry too. The fruit is small and the pits are almost the size of the actual cherry. We leave them for the birds.

Thanks again everyone. Now I just have to decide, do I keep the cherry or keep the lilac?

No horses, so good to go there. Can you eat the fruit?

That is definitely a cherry, but I can't say what type of cherry. It looks pretty tall, so I'd expect it to be one of the taller cherries such as Black Cherry or maybe a seedling of Sour Cherry - the parent of most edible cherries.

Thanks again everyone. Now I just have to decide, do I keep the cherry or keep the lilac?

I would figure out if it a native species or an exotic import. If it is an exotic I would destroy it. If it is native to your area I would weigh the ornamental value of the lilac vs. the food value of those cherries to wildlife. Cherry is a very high value soft mast tree. If you watch it carefully you will notice the birds all over it when those berries start to ripen. (And that is how your tree got there to begin with).

Status
Not open for further replies.