I've been told we don't need anymore wood. Lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

warno

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2015
illinois
So my father and I burn from the same pile and he told me we don't need anymore wood. Since i started burning 3 years ago I've been scrounging everything i could get my hands on. Dad figures we are about 2 years out in the piles now. I dumped of 2 trailer loads of wood this simmer and his friend dropped 5 good sized trees and took all the trunk pieces to the lot. We also have 2 big ash trees that were dropped in town and are cut to length we have to get still. So according to dad we are good for awhile. Lol we have more wood then we have reasonable stacking area. Pretty good feeling. Maybe I'll take a scrounging season off next year.

Would love to see a few pictures.

Yea, but don't move when you get there. :confused:

Reactions: Lone_Gun
Problem with getting too far ahead for us is we had about 1.5 years worth of wood stolen from us one summer when i was younger. Our wood pile is on my dad's second property with nobody around. They stole it all during the summer to burn in fire pits. We know who it was but couldn't prove it.

Problem with getting too far ahead for us is we had about 1.5 years worth of wood stolen from us one summer when i was younger. Our wood pile is on my dad's second property with nobody around. They stole it all during the summer to burn in fire pits. We know who it was but couldn't prove it.
That's sad. What are people thinking?

I took this season off scavenging and it was HARD.
There was a few that couldn't be passed up like a pile at
the cemetery which is county property, and the other was
right on my road literally a few hundred feet from the house.

Way ahead, and with more available I forced myself to be lazy.

Reactions: warno
No way I can stop, scavenging is my stress reliever, at the rate i'm going, I will have a 20 year supply within a year.

Due to selling my home pretty much have to start over, I do have about 5 cord yet. the new place dosen't even have a stove yet. First order of business once I close.

my wife tells me this all the time, but the wood keeps showing up :)

i have a few bigger elms that are dead that need to come down for "safety".... I think I am about 4 years ahead right now....

Once you start scrounging it seems there isn't any going back...it's a satisfying addiction. That being said, it seems most people are at least a year or more ahead, myself included...I hope I'm not the only one who fights a bit of hesitation when friends or family ask for firewood. I'm always willing to help them out, but I think I get a bit possessive over my precious wood inventory...lol

Once you start scrounging it seems there isn't any going back...it's a satisfying addiction. That being said, it seems most people are at least a year or more ahead, myself included...I hope I'm not the only one who fights a bit of hesitation when friends or family ask for firewood. I'm always willing to help them out, but I think I get a bit possessive over my precious wood inventory...lol
i had a co-worker ask about some wood the other day. he said "can you not give me anything that literally boils this time?" Fortunately for him I have a pile of punky cottonwood that i've been trying to get rid of!

I burn two to three a year and have five cords stacked and four to cut and split. My kids think I am nuts :)

I burn two to three a year and have five cords stacked and four to cut and split. My kids think I am nuts :)

we burn about 2 per year, and I think i'm up to 9 cord stacked up, and 2 more waiting to be taken down.

It's nice to be ahead, for when things get too busy (or hot) to split wood. Also, you never know when an injury or other family crisis will have you away from it for a season.

Reactions: fbelec
I wanted to be 3 years ahead by the end of this summer, but I wound up building stuff and fixing vehicles a lot more than processing wood, so I'm only 2 years ahead. Still, that's not so bad because I have access to lots of pine, which can be good and dry in 1 year. (I need to get aome more pine in, only have about half a cord ready to go at the moment.) The way this winter is looking so far, I may use less wood than usual anyway.

I currently have 5 woodpiles scattered around with a 6th one starting up. My wife had concerns the first year but they went up in smoke when she found out she could have the house at 75 degrees all winter with a $0 oil bill. :)

I am about 3 years ahead in my wood but don't have very much room to store much more.
Every time I see a downed tree...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Yep it's heart wrenching isn't it! I'm 3 years up after a big push this summer but have room for about another 2 cords and handily that's about 3 years worth for my parents. Dad's 80 next month so I'm happy to indulge my cutting and splitting needs for their benefit. However I'm trying to be more choosy than I was in previous years, and this year have scrounged mainly Oak, ash, acacia (locust) and only a little pine etc.

Just took my daughter to the park and walked past a house having a Leyland cypress down...I stared hard at the 12" diameter trunk knowing it splits easily, dries easily and is fairly heavy as pine etc goes.... But managed to stay focused and walk on to the park leaving it behind. Hard though!

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
So here's a quick collage of the wood pile. We still have to get 2 other piles about the size of the one my son is climbing on. Plus dad has his basement full and enough to get him through the winter at his house. And, at all rate I'm burning, ive got enough at home to get me into January this winter easily.

20171124_215715.jpg

So my father and I burn from the same pile and he told me we don't need anymore wood. Since i started burning 3 years ago I've been scrounging everything i could get my hands on. Dad figures we are about 2 years out in the piles now. I dumped of 2 trailer loads of wood this simmer and his friend dropped 5 good sized trees and took all the trunk pieces to the lot. We also have 2 big ash trees that were dropped in town and are cut to length we have to get still. So according to dad we are good for awhile. Lol we have more wood then we have reasonable stacking area. Pretty good feeling. Maybe I'll take a scrounging season off next year.

I'll just say this, take it when you can get it, and there is no such thing as too much, you never know when times will get lean. I am a solid 2 years ahead, and hurt my right arm in November of '16 since then cutting and splitting has been slowed dramatically. Just now starting to cut and split again, in a month of so, my storage will be full again to 3 years out.