I've been told we don't need anymore wood. Lol

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
How’s three rows of pallets, stacked double- wide, 50 - 100 feet long? I haven’t counted cords recently, but I’m guessing 30.

9f58674644b55b35f570e8c88748a976.jpg

Last edited:
How’s three rows of pallets, stacked double- wide, 50 - 100 feet long? I haven’t counted cords recently, but I’m guessing 30.

View attachment 216539
That's impressive...having woodstack envy right now.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

I'll just say this, take it when you can get it, and there is no such thing as too much, you never know when times will get lean. I am a solid 2 years ahead, and hurt my right arm in November of '16 since then cutting and splitting has been slowed dramatically. Just now starting to cut and split again, in a month of so, my storage will be full again to 3 years out.

+1 . . . You never know when something comes up and you suddenly find a dearth of wood coming your way, health issues pop up unexpectedly or life throws a curve ball at you out of nowhere and you just don't have the time to work on the wood.

This is why I am always looking for wood even though I am well ahead . . .

Reactions: Lone_Gun
We are empty nesters now...and getting some age on us...lol...things can and will happen to alter your life..my wife is not capable of firewood duties so I make sure that she will have nothing to worry about in the event that something should happen to me..so to me there is never enough wood on hand...3-4 years ahead right now and before this winter is out I am going to double that as all I am cutting right now is Oak....then I will concentrate on more roofed storage...

Reactions: Lone_Gun
He who dies with the most firewood wins.

Once you start scrounging it seems there isn't any going back...it's a satisfying addiction. That being said, it seems most people are at least a year or more ahead, myself included...I hope I'm not the only one who fights a bit of hesitation when friends or family ask for firewood. I'm always willing to help them out, but I think I get a bit possessive over my precious wood inventory...lol

People don’t really think about the time and energy and money that went into you being able to produce all this firewood. I never mind volunteering wood for gatherings, but asking for wood without returning a favor is lousy. I have a neighbor I’m friendly with you asks for wood for his fire pit on occasion. I just give him a load of my own fire pit wood, which is wood too big for the stove. I don’t mind, but he’s never offered to have me over to one of these fires or have a beer with him. I wouldn’t ask him if I could have 10 gallons of heating oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Woody5506
People don’t really think about the time and energy and money that went into you being able to produce all this firewood. I never mind volunteering wood for gatherings, but asking for wood without returning a favor is lousy. I have a neighbor I’m friendly with you asks for wood for his fire pit on occasion. I just give him a load of my own fire pit wood, which is wood too big for the stove. I don’t mind, but he’s never offered to have me over to one of these fires or have a beer with him. I wouldn’t ask him if I could have 10 gallons of heating oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't charge friends for family for anything, neighbors are a different story.

I had a neighbor sort of mention "maybe" he could buy some firewood off me sometime, and even that made me cringe a bit. Sure I could make a few bucks selling some wood, but then I'm out seasoned wood that would be even better by the next year if I hadn't gotten to burning it this year. I think I'm ok with being possessive...lol

I had a neighbor sort of mention "maybe" he could buy some firewood off me sometime, and even that made me cringe a bit. Sure I could make a few bucks selling some wood, but then I'm out seasoned wood that would be even better by the next year if I hadn't gotten to burning it this year. I think I'm ok with being possessive...lol

I have 3 large Oaks that I'm considering cutting, splitting and selling. Oak, with it's long seasoning process screws up my "only stack it once" rule.

1. Beggars can’t be choosers, you can sell him un-seasoned wood.
2. If seasoned wood is to be exchanged, it’s not at $200 per cord. I’ve seen others on this forum quoting dried wood at $450 per cord, when they’ve been forced to shop it.

As long as it's sunny and windy, that wood will last for years. I have 8 cords ready, and can't stop accumulating more. What's that illness I have again?