I've got a Better Idea!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Instead of everybody freaking out about energy prices, panic buying pellet stoves and pellets, how about people invest some money in energy conservation? Seal up drafts, insulate the attic, wrap your water heater, etc? Money invested in energy conservation pays off for as long as you own the house, and is a lot less demanding and stressful than blowing a cerebralvascular gasket about when your new pellet stove and pellets are going to be delivered. Oh, I'm gonna catch hell for this post....

richg said:
Instead of everybody freaking out about energy prices, panic buying pellet stoves and pellets, how about people invest some money in energy conservation? Seal up drafts, insulate the attic, wrap your water heater, etc? Money invested in energy conservation pays off for as long as you own the house, and is a lot less demanding and stressful than blowing a cerebralvascular gasket about when your new pellet stove and pellets are going to be delivered. Oh, I'm gonna catch hell for this post....

I second this motion!

This is just not sexy my friend. Much better to hear the outdoors with green efficient pellet heat!
Biggest bang for the buck is almost always tightening up the house and such things. I was shocked to see how much of a difference insulating my 1999 LP 40 gallon hot water heater made. My savings have literally been in the 40% range for a 25 dollar investment (insulation kit). I wasn't excited about doing it when LP was a buck a gallon, but at 3.50 + per gallon that is looking like a pretty good investment.
I'm going to tighten up a few more areas before fall.

richg said:

Rich - Fine idea.

But implies it is either do this or do that. In fact, reducing energy loss is a big part of the solution, whether you are trying to be green, save money, or both. But getting less costly, carbon neutral energy into the house is also part of the answer.

Work on this Wiki article:
100+ ways to save energy:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/100_ways_to_save_energy/

In all seriousness, there is a problem with "lack of sexiness". It is very cool to show off and brag about your new stainless steel, fire view, enameled 1000 gallon storage, chip/pellet/corn burner and nuclear reactor, but it does not go over well at the bar to shout about your skill with a caulk gun nor your ability to shut off some rooms in your home.

I think this country could save 10% on total energy use without even breaking a sweat, and up to 50% or more within 15 years if we launch a TRUE "moon shot" energy plan. But as long as we are shouting at each other 99% of the time (turn on the TV or Radio)...it's not going to happen. As bears repeating, it's every man (and woman) for themselves!

Been there , done that, still $5 a gallon heating oil turns me OFF big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.