J.A. Roby (sirius wood stove) being fired up for first time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clancey

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2021
Colorado
My stove is going to be lite for the first time this Thursday July 22 when my dealer that installed it gets here and I will fill you all in on the details..This is hard on me because I am afraid of fire--lol ..I bought this stove just for emergencies and not everyday using so we will see how this goes...I am ready and that's the only appointment he could make because of being so busy...He will bring a stove pipe temperature gauge over as well and put in for me..I have also made a "clean out" time once a year for the piping and stove if needed...Just wanted you all to know...clancey

Last edited:
My stove is going to be lite for the first time this Thursday July 22 when my dealer that installed it gets here and I will fill you all in on the details..This is hard on me because I am afraid of fire--lol ..I bought this stove just for emergencies and not everyday using so we will see how this goes...I am ready and that's the only appointment he could make because of being so busy...He will bring a stove pipe temperature gauge over as well and put in for me..I have also made a "clean out" time once a year for the piping and stove if needed...Just wanted you all to know...clancey

It will be a breeze Clancy.post some pictures .

thanks I sure will...Trying to get a few friends over and I will order pizza or something with soft drinks and ice tea...So far everybody is busy: Sewing groups., out of town flying in baloons, and one sick--worrisome here...another at a motor race so it looks like I am going to have no back ups here--lol That's fine...but yes i will take some pictures..thanks marty319...clancey

No pictures ,it didn't happen lol

• Haha
Reactions: stoveliker
I cancelled the store lighting because our air and ozone and temperatures are so bad here in Colorado --later will be better. The forest fires are really impacting our state and today was just terrible and Thursday temperatures will be about 96 or 97 degrees and smoke and air pollution as well especially the ozone...This is sad for I was zipped up to do this but it will be better later...clancey

Good call. Your draft might not have been enough (resulting in smoke spilled in your room). Draft increases when it's colder outside. You want your first fire to be a good experience!

Sauna time lol.

Your darn right---boy I have been reprieved---Yes..thanks.. Our air is so bad here a lot of people are just getting sick from it and we cannot see the mountains and its all closed in here--terrible..I am staying inside with my ac on and a clean air filter just relaxing and drinking a nice cold drink...Nice to have a home--blessed.. God bless all you people as well..,,,Maybe at the end of Sept---depends and I am so glad the wood is inside and safe and ready to go...I worked hard...thanks..clancey

Well you are not alone clancey. Smoke is terrible here as well with all the forest fires around.water bomber up here had to abort a mission as some idiot was flying a drone over the lake.

People are losing their minds and judgments --terrible...Those water drops are so important...we shall overcome...clancey

If you do your test burn in warm weather, bear in mind that the flue will not be operating normally- draft gets better the colder it is outside.

Lighting a fire in 90 degree weather may require some significant flue preheating! Expect some smoke coming back into the house.

Nice to know about that smoke backing up in my house and I will make preparations at that time to take my parakeet outside or to the garage if weather does not permit so we will see and take it by ear..I am trying to set a date for cooler weather possibly at the end of Sept and beginning of Oct and "in a way it is exciting"--"in a way",,lol...Yes I will take different pictures so that we all can see the the flames and let you know about how the burning and what Chris says (my installer and dealer). I also have a blower connected to it and that will be on as well. Will keep everybody updated--thanks..clancey

Nice to know about that smoke backing up in my house and I will make preparations at that time to take my parakeet outside or to the garage if weather does not permit so we will see and take it by ear..I am trying to set a date for cooler weather possibly at the end of Sept and beginning of Oct and "in a way it is exciting"--"in a way",,lol...Yes I will take different pictures so that we all can see the the flames and let you know about how the burning and what Chris says (my installer and dealer). I also have a blower connected to it and that will be on as well. Will keep everybody updated--thanks..clancey
Leave the blower off to start.

I live just outside of NYC and we did not have a cloud in the sky yesterday but it was very hazy out as the wind has blown the smoke from the western fires all the way across the country.

okay I will but why? clancey
The blower cools the stove more making getting up to temp take longer. And it will also distribute the smoke and smell of the paint curing. Leave it off the first few fires. And after that get it up to temp before turning it on. I don't know about yours but most have an auto setting that won't turn on untill the stove heats up.

Thanks and the new date is Sept 27th in the morning and I will keep an eye on the weather and for the hell of it I am going to check about that auto setting--I would like to know about that...thanks so much and will get back with any information that I get in the future..and I will get a gas mask--kidding---thanks everyone..clancey

The flue will work a lot better at the end of September than it would in the middle of July! Have the guy check the flue for bird nests before he lights it up.

Curing paint really does stink! Using a couple box fans to bring in fresh air in one window and another one to push room air outside will help a lot.

You darn right on all counts...Took me awhile to think things through...I have a special something on the stove pipe to keep the birdies out that I requested from the stove installer--screening or something and i will try to get a picture of the tip of the stove top today from the attic and not saying this attempt will work but I will find out the name of the contraption. Yea my brain is "dense" and it took me awhile to figure out "maybe this weather is just tooooo hot to try to start the wood stove"--lol..thanks..clancey

You darn right on all counts...Took me awhile to think things through...I have a special something on the stove pipe to keep the birdies out that I requested from the stove installer--screening or something and i will try to get a picture of the tip of the stove top today from the attic and not saying this attempt will work but I will find out the name of the contraption. Yea my brain is "dense" and it took me awhile to figure out "maybe this weather is just tooooo hot to try to start the wood stove"--lol..thanks..clancey
The contraption is called a screen lol nice and simple. And just for clarity once the pipe hits the ceiling it is chimney pipe not stove pipe. I know yours is done correctly but it helps if we use the proper terms so others don't get confused.

Thanks bholler and proper names of things are always nice to know--lol okay "chimney pipe" with a screen on it to keep out the birdies..thanks...clancey

Reactions: bholler
There are some questions about my stove connection that I want to ask and I took pictures to the best of my ability especially the ones coming from the attic window with a bar going through the middle of it. Now inside I have a box on the ceiling with a frame that goes around it and the insulation in that area of the roof is regular pink insulation with the paper backing and it seems to go right up to that square box in the ceiling so I had them leave the framing of the box off for now..so that I can ask this question..Do I need to have special insulation in that area of the metal box ? My second question is from the outside chimney pipe does the installation look pretty good on what you can see--fuzzy picture I know..Just wondering about these things..clancey

chimney pipe and stove pipe pictures 001.JPG chimney pipe and stove pipe pictures 002.JPG chimney pipe and stove pipe pictures 003.JPG chimney pipe and stove pipe pictures 004.JPG

Last edited: