j-takeman energex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
save$, let me know how that batch of MWP works for you.
I got a ton of stove chow at lowes and they are burning really good so far.

save$ said:
I like the heat I get from them, but don't care for the mess. I thought it was my stove needing cleaning, but when I switched back to another brand without doing deep cleaning, my problem was resolved. But, I ran out of that brand and had to switch back. I know you (Jay) often had said results vary from stove to stove for pellet results. Does anyone else get that crumbling cookie in their burn pot with Energex?
I am going to attempt sending pics with this. one should show the stove after 48 hrs burning with energex, then I'll show the inside and the glass. (ash on glass brushes right off) then a scoop of the junk in the burn pot, then the stove running after inside cleaning. Only stays that way for a day.

UPdade 3/4/11 My MWP pellets arrived. First bag I mixed with the Energex. Next day had a pot of sand, no clumping. Then went to all MWP. Let the stove run out of pellets this Am Here are some updated pictures showing the differences.

Attachments

• DSCF2236.jpg
    DSCF2236.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCF2239.jpg
    DSCF2239.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 250
  • DSCF2240.jpg
    DSCF2240.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 235
wow, so your toy really likes those MWP.
For the 2nd picture, how long was the burn?
For the 3rd picture, was it burning the MWP? Looks like you also get that thick black soot 'band' to the top of the glass?

geek said:
save$, let me know how that batch of MWP works for you.
I got a ton of stove chow at lowes and they are burning really good so far.

What lowes did you get the chow from?

Derby, CT.

The mwp burn nice but not the same heat as Greene teams or hamers or okies....
Spruce pointe is about the same as mwp ... I am using harman accentra and ir gun

geek said:
For the 3rd picture, was it burning the MWP? Looks like you also get that thick black soot 'band' to the top of the glass?

The last three pics were taken within a 30 min range. The stove had run two days on MWP. third pic was just after brushing and vac and restart. No black band visable in that pic, but it was on the glass just before I cleaned it. I usually only have to vac the glass, but I did wet wipe it down prior to taking that pic. With MWP, even on day 3, the pot looks the same. Of couse there will be more loose fly ash on the grates etc. I am going to try some of those other brands to see if I can geet a hotter fire. I have one of those digital surface temp readers. I can get 280-310 F with the these and the Energex. These are much cleaner. Don't think I'll try Okies. All I am hearing is dusty, and an odor. Not worth the higher price. The guy who dilivered the NWP also sell Okies for a lille over 280. He says that his Okies come from Canada and don't have the odor, but he is aware of some Okies that have come up to Portland from Mass that have the odor. He said he has called the plant and that they are aware of the dust and "are working on it" I might go $30 bucks more for a hotter pellet, but that would be about all I would do before I was feeling that I was waisting my money. Still trying to figure out if it is the batch of pellets or the stove that is cause for such wide ranges in observations for each brand.of pellets.

save$ said:
save$ said:
I like the heat I get from them, but don't care for the mess. I thought it was my stove needing cleaning, but when I switched back to another brand without doing deep cleaning, my problem was resolved. But, I ran out of that brand and had to switch back. I know you (Jay) often had said results vary from stove to stove for pellet results. Does anyone else get that crumbling cookie in their burn pot with Energex?
I am going to attempt sending pics with this. one should show the stove after 48 hrs burning with energex, then I'll show the inside and the glass. (ash on glass brushes right off) then a scoop of the junk in the burn pot, then the stove running after inside cleaning. Only stays that way for a day.

UPdade 3/4/11 My MWP pellets arrived. First bag I mixed with the Energex. Next day had a pot of sand, no clumping. Then went to all MWP. Let the stove run out of pellets this Am Here are some updated pictures showing the differences.

I noticed the ash build up on the burn pot rim with both pellets, does not look like a good burn to me.

save$ said:
geek said:

The last three pics were taken within a 30 min range. The stove had run two days on MWP. third pic was just after brushing and vac and restart. No black band visable in that pic, but it was on the glass just before I cleaned it. I usually only have to vac the glass, but I did wet wipe it down prior to taking that pic. With MWP, even on day 3, the pot looks the same. Of couse there will be more loose fly ash on the grates etc. I am going to try some of those other brands to see if I can geet a hotter fire. I have one of those digital surface temp readers. I can get 280-310 F with the these and the Energex. These are much cleaner. Don't think I'll try Okies. All I am hearing is dusty, and an odor. Not worth the higher price. The guy who dilivered the NWP also sell Okies for a lille over 280. He says that his Okies come from Canada and don't have the odor, but he is aware of some Okies that have come up to Portland from Mass that have the odor. He said he has called the plant and that they are aware of the dust and "are working on it" I might go $30 bucks more for a hotter pellet, but that would be about all I would do before I was feeling that I was waisting my money. Still trying to figure out if it is the batch of pellets or the stove that is cause for such wide ranges in observations for each brand.of pellets.

280 is high .... but okies burn significantly hotter than most pellets....
On my stove set on 4 and 4 I get 370-405 on okies... mwp don't go over 310 on a good day... not saying its a bad pellet ... but a little more fines in the okies I have - yes but when its cold out that's what keeps the house warm ...okies hamers and green team ....for me... try a couple bags ... also vermonts are supposed to be hot too ... gonna try those this week

All burning pellets result in some ash that has to go somewhere. I just don't want it accumulating in the the burn pot where it interferes. At 199 a ton, I consider it a very good burn and much less ash. But, I have to admit, I have not tried the really expensive pellets. The most I paid was about $270 a ton I paid for enegex in 2008. I still have 3.5 tons of Energex that I bought early last year during a spring sale for $220/ton. I'll need to work at burning them. Lots of cleaning ahead. Have you tried the Corinth pellets? That is another that has a good review by Jay, who also gave MWP a good review. They also have a fair price. Would like to know if they give more heat. Different results and different opinions. Would be a dull world if all were the same.

save$ said:
All burning pellets result in some ash that has to go somewhere. I just don't want it accumulating in the the burn pot where it interferes. At 199 a ton, I consider it a very good burn and much less ash. But, I have to admit, I have not tried the really expensive pellets. The most I paid was about $270 a ton I paid for enegex in 2008. I still have 3.5 tons of Energex that I bought early last year during a spring sale for $220/ton. I'll need to work at burning them. Lots of cleaning ahead. Have you tried the Corinth pellets? That is another that has a good review by Jay, who also gave MWP a good review. They also have a fair price. Would like to know if they give more heat. Different results and different opinions. Would be a dull world if all were the same.

Lol you are right about results and opinions... with prices going up around here ... it makes more sense to go to the pellet houses, I might pay a tad bit more but the high octane pellets are 249-270
The regulars are 225 and up .. unless I can get some gt when they come in for 209...
So I don't mind the extra 10-15 for a much hotter pellet in my stove..
I still have 20+ bags of mwp and 20+ bags of stove chow but I would like to get more high octane before price increases

When your paying what save$ is paying for them, you can close your eyes to things like ash and fines. But these MWP and the latest Corinth.. Well there also doing well with ash amounts. Remember its not volume but weight. And the heat they are producing is respectable. There not shoulder pellets anymore.

Super Premium pellets at a Premium pellet price. Hard to over look them.

P
j-takeman said:
When your paying what save$ is paying for them, you can close your eyes to things like ash and fines. But these MWP and the latest Corinth.. Well there also doing well with ash amounts. Remember its not volume but weight. And the heat they are producing is respectable. There not shoulder pellets anymore.

Super Premium pellets at a Premium pellet price. Hard to over look them.

I absolutely agree with you ... especially at his prices...
Unfortunately for me I can't get those prices within the distance I am willing to drive ... I am praying for those gt next week so I can save some $

Status
Not open for further replies.