j-takeman energex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slls

Minister of Fire
Jun 9, 2008
central maine Lat 45
I see your test 1-8-10 I think, Energex ca ash % .572. Just tested 1 ton and came out with .562 %, pretty close I think.
Mine were made probably 08.

Very nice slls. I only burned 2 bags, Burning the whole ton and saving the ash for totals is a feat in testing standards. Overall what are your thoughts on them?

jtakeman is like a celebrity on this site. If this were facebook i would definately want to be your friend!
I dont post as much as you guys do but I do enjoy all your input and efforts. Keep up the great job! Personally, I dont like the energex but we are all different right?

I like the heat I get from them, but don't care for the mess. I thought it was my stove needing cleaning, but when I switched back to another brand without doing deep cleaning, my problem was resolved. But, I ran out of that brand and had to switch back. I know you (Jay) often had said results vary from stove to stove for pellet results. Does anyone else get that crumbling cookie in their burn pot with Energex?
I am going to attempt sending pics with this. one should show the stove after 48 hrs burning with energex, then I'll show the inside and the glass. (ash on glass brushes right off) then a scoop of the junk in the burn pot, then the stove running after inside cleaning. Only stays that way for a day.

Attachments

• feb 2011 215.jpg
    feb 2011 215.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 673
  • feb 2011 220.jpg
    feb 2011 220.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 661
  • feb 2011 222.jpg
    feb 2011 222.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 661
  • feb 2011 223.jpg
    feb 2011 223.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 664
  • feb 2011 228.jpg
    feb 2011 228.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 667
save$ has found a way to make cup cakes and heat the house too, Cool! :coolsmile: Sorry couldn't resist, thats one heck of a cookie you got there. Dang its funny how some pellets run great in some stoves and others just hate them! Of coarse batch variance can play in this too!

save$, sure hope your MWP come in soon!

j-takeman said:
Very nice slls. I only burned 2 bags, Burning the whole ton and saving the ash for totals is a feat in testing standards. Overall what are your thoughts on them?

I really like them, just bought 3 ton more. Burn hot, 162 F on high fan, don't even bother checking temp on low fan, would never run it that way, moves the heat through all the rooms. No clinkers, scrape burn pot once a day. On cold day long burns get some hard ash, no bigger than a nickle. See my avatar, CB1200 loves to kick out ash.

I would have bought Corinth, had to go out of my way to get test bags, just never got there.

I favor Energex for the 50 % softwood, I burned 20 bags Spruce Pointe, what a pellet, hot burn, little ash.

Save$,

that is exactly what i've been getting with the Okanagan, I'd love to try those Maine Wood Pellets that 've been saying burn as good as it gets in your NPS40, however there's nothing close, may need to go CTPellet and get a couple bags to try.

Jay, do you have MWP for another trade.... :)

i was just looking and there are many different opinions on the MWP, so i feel really cautious, but the fact that save$ has burned it and his NPS40 really likes it, is making a temptation to at least try.
I don't want to bother our fella again.. :)

Our fella, Is just as much a pellet head as you or I! I am sure if you wanted, He's willing. Plus we can chat pellets and stoves while swapping pellets! Hehe. :)

well, if you think he wont mind then let's do it, maybe 2 bags?

Geek -

I'm usually over in the tree burner side- BUT - isn't time to update your sig.- from the nut to "cleaning the spot" ?! :)

P.J.

P.S. - I liked your old avatar better...

geek said:
well, if you think he wont mind then let's do it, maybe 2 bags?

I ask him tomorrow and I try to stop and get some fuel.

"Trying to Clean the spot" hehe Sorry geek, Too funny PJ! :lol:

ha, was just thinking about my avatar yesterday.....let's try my next one...hehe

We seriously gotta get a pellet swap meet! Somewhere in ct! You guys keep trading ... I am very close to enfield...my Costco us there lol
But a swap meet is a must.. and while we are at it beer?

geek, when I get my new delivery, I'll burn a couple of bags and takes Pics, and post them if it will help. Should you get your two bags, lets us know how they do for you. Are you able to adjust your stove's draft? If so, try to run your stove on high for 15 min, shut the draft down. Then gradually open it back up until you get a good burn. Then adjust your feed rate. That's how I do it, but my stove is mostly manual.
Snowy told me that crap in my pellets is dirt. It crumbles right in your hand. She gets it in her nut shells, but says for the price, it is worth putting up with. My messy pellets cost me more than my clean ones. Go figure. I want to try the new Corinth. Jay said they tested well. I have avoided all the big box store products. So far, I'm doing better with the small business deals.
Some company up here is offering a three year fixed price of 239 bulk delivery with the purchase of a pellet furnace. I think those are Athens. Their add says that is comparable to oil at $1.95 per gallon. I think Maine will be a good place to be for pellet options for at least the next few years.

geek, Our fella said no problem. Wifey "can" stop and pick up 6 to 10 bags. She will be going by there later this week or early next! If you want more than 2 to get a long test let me know. I can get more if needed! I like burning 6 bags in a row to see if the stove start choking, 2 sometimes isn't enough. Longer burns on cooler days are a plus too!

It's pellet hunting season again! :) woohoo!

iceman said:
We seriously gotta get a pellet swap meet! Somewhere in ct! You guys keep trading ... I am very close to enfield...my Costco us there lol

I did a pellet swap with imacman last season, meet iron stove at Blakslee's and geek at a local stove shop, Its fun meeting members. Swapping pellets and seeing the people in person(some actually look like there avatar's too! hehe).

How close are you to BT's Suffield Facility?

j-takeman said:
iceman said:

I did a pellet swap with imacman last season, meet iron stove at Blakslee's and geek at a local stove shop, Its fun meeting members. Swapping pellets and seeing the people in person(some actually look like there avatar's too! hehe).

How close are you to BT's Suffield Facility?

Pretty close, I am practically in enfield....

ok jay, i can try 4 bags, usually by the 3rd day burning i can tell whether i like it or not.
The Derby lowes just got some Stove Chow today, i will try a couple of that new batch and see how they are also.

geek said:
ok jay, i can try 4 bags, usually by the 3rd day burning i can tell whether i like it or not.
The Derby lowes just got some Stove Chow today, i will try a couple of that new batch and see how they are also.

When did the new. batch start? I have some from June that burn like crap real dirty:(

iceman, the feedback has been all over, people hate it and others, like save$, really like it.......dunno, i am just trying to give it a test in my stove and see what happens.

You might also want to ask Smokey. I know he bought about 5 tons of MWP. I don't know if he has them put away for next year, or if he tried a few. He doesn't have a Napoleon. I'll also pass on that my brother is burning MWP and has a stove identical to mine. He is getting the same results I got. He installed the OAK this past fall just as I did. His home is much larger, but very open. He gives his stove and the pellets an A+.

Check the my sig, I declared shoulder season a while back so I stopped burning my Cubex, I've burned 1.5 tons of MWP so far this season. They are working just fine for me.

I have no way to adjust my stove so it can be quite picky if the ash level is high or the ash is dense.

I already have my burn stacks set up for next season (well I'm an old geezer so I get up do my chores, do my major thing for the day, take a geezer nap, get up do some more chores etc...).

Today the normal chores includes the wash, since we had snow and crud the last two days it also included snow and crud removal. So no major thing in todays schedule.

Tomorrow I'll undertake my outing for the week by going to the feed store and perhaps stopping in at a restaurant for lunch with the boss.

save$, sure hope your MWP come in soon![/quote]

MWP pellets came today just as agreed to. Couldn't hardly wait to get them in my stove so I can get away from the mess. I'll have to start mixing them if I have any hope of burning through my supply of messy Energex. Good part is that both give me good heat. The guy form Jay has gone up $10 bucks per ton, but that still is a good deal for delivered pellets. (209 delivered, 189 you pick up) I watched him muscle those pellets off his flatbed and into my garage. Don't know how he holds up to that work, day in and day out. He told me that there are plenty of pellets out there. I agree, but what price they will be is yet to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.