Jamestown J2000 Smokes Out After 5-10 Minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

profdlp

Sep 23, 2017
Westlake, Ohio
Here is my stove:

http://jamestownpelletstoves.com/product-category/product/j2000-stoves/

As the title says, it lights, runs fine for a few minutes, then smokes out completely. I have followed Jamestown's long video for stove cleaning to the letter.

This stove came with my house which I bought last March and I know nothing of its history or even when it last ran properly. As a guess, I'm wondering if the combustion fan is operating properly. If I leave the door open it burns fine, but this is obviously not a solution but rather a troubleshooting step.

The chimney goes up, then through the side of the house. On the stove's installation instructions it meets with their requirements so I do not think that is it.

I've attached the user manual which I have studied thoroughly.

I have also tried finding a local service tech but have had no luck. I've had maybe ten different places say they don't service them. I am just outside of Cleveland, Ohio.

Attachments

• jamestown-2009.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 478
Last edited:
When you turn the stove on does the combustion blower run? Is the manual damper open/closed?

Reactions: profdlp
If the combustion fan runs it is pretty quiet. I have never had a wood stove of any type so I have nothing to compare it to.

As for the damper, I have tried it from one extreme to the other and everything in between. It seems to make no difference. I did open the side and check the linkage, etc., and it appears the butterfly valve is working.

Thanks for replying! :)

What Mode is it in? when you hit Start listen for a fan to start. It's right behind the back panel by the exhaust vent pipe connection. if you don't hear a fan your going to have to open up the stove and find out why. open the damper all the way

Last edited:
I do hear a fan but I am pretty sure it is the convection fan as I can feel the air coming out of the front of the unit. (Not smoky air, just warm air.)

I'm pretty sure the noise I hear from the other fan is a seized or very slow motor for the combustion fan. From the many videos I have watched the flame should be really dancing around and it is not.

i would open the back up and ck that fan. your smoke and lack of fire is due to no airflow through the stove.

That makes sense. I have actually started to do that on two separate occasions (including this morning), but it looks like I will have to remove most of the guts of the thing to get to it.

I appreciate your advice!