Jamestown Pellet Stove help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

burpuffer2

Nov 14, 2018
California
I bought a home that already had a Jamestown pellet stove installed, everything is in tact except the control board is missing. It is an older unit but is in good shape, I have tried contacting Jamestown direct but no response, the website I cannot tell what the correct motherboard is because the model number is not checked off on the placard. I’m hoping someone can point me to a source that can help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 720
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 380
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 464
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 622
Your serial number and date of testing may give more info. I found this old thread https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/older-jamestown-j1000.43119/

It looks like an older analog board. Depending on you soldering / electronics skills you could make your own control with some rheostats and relays and a timer for the auger.

Did you ask the prev. homeowner where the control board is? I have a similar old jamestown insert; it really puts out a LOT of heat! Jamestown I believe was bought out by Lennox and they don't have a lot of support for the legacy products.

Did you ask the prev. homeowner where the control board is? I have a similar old jamestown insert; it really puts out a LOT of heat! Jamestown I believe was bought out by Lennox and they don't have a lot of support for the legacy products.

No I did not. I was told when purchasing the home by the realtor that the part was missing and they wouldn’t be fixing it. A local repair company that deals with pellet stoves came out and said they couldn’t get it. They said this model was most likely made for a chain. Sears, Home Depot, etc because it didn’t match up with any of owners manuals from Jamestown.

Reactions: Ssyko
That board would need more circuitry to make it truly functional. The original had 6 trimpots on it, for combustion fan speed, convection fan speed, and auger interval, for both high and low modes.

Somewhere on this forum there are threads dealing with DIY control boards.

Looks like that would work. GREAT price & free shipping! Good find.

I have a J1000 also that I’m having an issue with. Functionality wise it appears everything is working except there is not enough heat coming from the unit. All compartments for cleaning have been thoroughly completed. As far as I can tell the squirrel cage fan and motor are working (1 speed only) I just recently replaced the high temp sensor not the low. I am not savvy enough for testing the sensors. It also has a timer dial and additional sensor on this model and I haven’t found anything from Jamestown’s website that shows such a model much less a wiring schematic. You can feel heat from the vents of the stove but only up to 2’ away in a 20x23’ room. Can anyone help troubleshoot why it’s not putting out enough heat?

Attachments

• 69A97EC7-A86A-42EA-85C0-BFBD8B2B1738.jpeg
    69A97EC7-A86A-42EA-85C0-BFBD8B2B1738.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 191
  • 93FD90FF-FC30-4777-9EC6-7F0B2191590D.jpeg
    93FD90FF-FC30-4777-9EC6-7F0B2191590D.jpeg
    157.1 KB · Views: 867
  • 465EB468-AA03-4B2F-BD97-0FA742388E45.jpeg
    465EB468-AA03-4B2F-BD97-0FA742388E45.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 214
  • A97CD256-6CD7-49C6-A118-7F191A7EDAD2.jpeg
    A97CD256-6CD7-49C6-A118-7F191A7EDAD2.jpeg
    120.2 KB · Views: 504
Have you tested the convection (room)blower to ensure it functions? An old lamp cord and hook to the motor and plug into the wall outlet.

I can see the actual cage moving and can feel air coming out the vents in the front I even tried adjusting the 2 dials on the control board and that didn’t change anything either. How do you suggest testing it?
I adjusted the Fan dial with a jewelry screwdriver to max and you can hear and feel more air flow coming out now.
help with electronic timers-p1030008-large-.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt you will find a controller,but,you can try A-1 stoves,and Don at east coast hearth.Otherwise,research and teach yourself how they work,or/and make a new friend that knows them.Modifications will probably have to be made.However,if you can find the right person,this controller may make the unit functional. https://pellethead.com/product/kozi...ircuit-board-manual-dial-w-push-start-button/
Good Idea on that control panel Bob but it looks like there is no auger motor timing circuit there and Kozi parts are harder to get.
On the same idea, I would go with the Napoleon parts:
Auger timing module
Relay Module
Pellet feeder potentiometer with on/off switch
Room Fan pot with circuit board module
Manual/auto rocker switch
Green light
These parts are readily available
The hardest part would be to cut a flat piece of metal to mount the last 4 parts. The metal can be sized to replace the existing panel so it would be a real professional fit.
However the above works for a 1 RPM auger & Auger motor so if there is a 2 RPM motor the results would be different,
A sure fire solution may be to get one of the St. Croix analog to Digital upgrade kits that are made for the 2 RPM motor stoves. Some sheet metal cutting may be needed to fit the panel in, but because it is made for a 2 RPM auger & auger motor it would be a sure fire fix. :)