Japanese Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jan Pijpelink

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2015
South Jersey
We have one of these in our front yard. It has been in full bloom every May since we bought the house in 2003. This year no blossoms at all. I pruned one branch last October. Is it considered dead?

1595543181152.png

Oh no, you didn't cut off its male member, did you? :eek:;lol

Is it in full leaf in spite of no blossoms? If so, could be fine.

Oh no, that's not good. Pruning normally would not have this effect. How much of the tree was removed when pruned?

We lost a favorite peach tree several years ago. It was quite sudden. Within about a year it was dead. It turns out that some damn boring beetle that normally would be in Calif. is moving north and it found our tree. It burrowed under the bark and killed the tree dead in short order.

Look for tiny pinholes on the trunk. The peach tree borer can also attach cherries. It could also be that the tree was at end of life. They last from 12 to 60 yrs.

I’ve killed apple trees using roundup far away from the tree trunk but the root system, including connected sucker sprouts, carry the poison back to the tree. Any chance this happened?

I’ve also pruned cherry trees hard and if anything it encouraged growth!

No blooms, no leaves, take your knife and peel back the bark in a spot to see if the wood is alive. If not, plan to pop a new one in this winter. It’ll be back in no time.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink