John Deere 110 Garden Tractor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardog

Jan 13, 2011
NW CT
Thinking of getting a small garden tractor for the explicit purpose of moving firewood. I've got a slight incline to drive down from my driveway to where I stack wood - can't drive the truck to the spot. I've seen some of the old John Deere 110 tractors on Craigslist, looking at one now for $795, looks pretty clean. Thoughts on that model for this purpose? What price would you pay?

They are high priced because collectors go for them. It depends on the year. A quick id,,is if it has the old style fenders, or is it a one piece sheet metal. The one piece go a lot cheaper.( newer)

Thinking of getting a small garden tractor for the explicit purpose of moving firewood. I've got a slight incline to drive down from my driveway to where I stack wood - can't drive the truck to the spot. I've seen some of the old John Deere 110 tractors on Craigslist, looking at one now for $795, looks pretty clean. Thoughts on that model for this purpose? What price would you pay?

what razerface said X2

in addition, John Deere tractors are premium tractors. Ask how many hours are on it.

On the other hand, you'll probably need the chains to put on the tires for moving wood on snow/ice.

If you get it, look into the plow for the front end. You can clear a path to your wood pile (as well as your driveway, walks, etc....)

I believe they are 10 hp engines so if its icy/hilly you may encounter an issue moving larger amounts of wood. As long as you do not ask more than it can do, it will move your wood.

your other choice may be a cheap quad.

Yea, it's the square fender model

I bought one off ebay back in '07 for $500. Has a 46" deck, a 10hp Kolher and AG tires. I prefer that over the 18hp Craftsman my wife uses. I can mow circles around that thing.

I move my wood splitter with it all the time. I'm sure it's the AG tires that allow it to pull so easily. I believe it would do a lot of spinning without them. Tough little machine.

If I was looking for an older tractor like that I would look at the 140's also. Bigger and more capable, probably more money too.

I like the 3 series and up for the hydrostat and hydraulic hook ups. they do go up in price rapidly though.
Green paint is very expensive, but my 420 garden is 30 years old and runs like the day it came off the showroom floor.
power steering and 3 hydraulic hook ups, 1 for the mower deck, 1 for raise lower snow plow, 1 for angling the plow.
it is really nice to have hydrostatic drive when plowing as opposed to my Kubota which has a clutch.

Reactions: JRJ
I wouldn't mow with it, just carting firewood and stuff around the yard. Overkill?

And I'm not trying to break the bank. The 3 series is nice, but too much $$$

Reactions: Beer Belly
For over 20 years I've used this '75 JD 110 w/ 10HP Kohler & 40yr+ old dump trailer to bring wood in from the woods.Last model of the series & heaviest @775lbs w/o 38" mower deck. Built like a tank,I can routinely haul 500lbs+ in that trailer up the steep slopes on that 10 acres.Have pulled 1500lb log with ease on the few actual flat spots on the property.

4-5 loads equal full size p/u load with 8ft box.Plenty of power but lacks traction on these steep slopes when ground is muddy or icy.Can get in lots of tight spots that regular truck cant get close to....Works very well when ground is dry and/or without snow & ice.Thought about getting chains someday,but I get enough done when conditions are optimal.

Attachments

• jd 110 june 2011 shed full now.jpg
    jd 110 june 2011 shed full now.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1,533
  • JD 110 new winch june 2011.jpg
    JD 110 new winch june 2011.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,725
  • jd 110 with trailer oct 2012 pic 2.jpg
    jd 110 with trailer oct 2012 pic 2.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 546
  • trailer sept 20 2011.jpg
    trailer sept 20 2011.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 448
Reactions: Beardog
I have a late production 110. We use it mostly for mowing the lawn these days, though I bought it when I was 15 years old and mowed for people in my neighborhood. If you get a plow blade, get the helper spring kit. The Kohler motors last forever. One thing to watch out for is the variator, the rebuild kit from Deere is like $500 (I just rebuilt mine this past spring). The transmissions hold up well, but when I was young and stupid, I used the little 110 to pull start a Gibson super D2. I managed to tear up the 2nd gear quadrant pretty bad. The parts were still available, and the transmission was easily rebuilt.

Get the service book from Deere. It is by far one of the best service books I have. It shows everything from basic service to full rebuild in very good detail. My machine is over 40 years old, and still gets the job done, and does it well. If I was in your position, I would buy it.

Great, now I found a 140 for $900.

A tip I found on one of the tractor forums was to fill the tires with windshield washer fluid. The extra weight helps with traction and it's right where you need it, on the tires, with no additional weight on the axle. Cheaper than wheel weights and less toxic than antifreeze in case it spills out one day. You can break the bead on one side, fill them up, then add air to pop it back on the rim and inflate.

Try and find an early cub, they are 100% shaft drive and had Kohlers, NO belts to mess with! Should be able to find one in the $3-500 range.

Greg

If that is the H1 one on CL with the deck and the front blade, I would hop on it if it ran nicely without smokin. Don't buy it if you don't see it start and run for a while. Great entry level tractor. Offer 700. Its over 40 yrs old.

How are the new ones lowes sells .Are they really made by john deere or are they knock offs?

How are the new ones lowes sells .Are they really made by john deere or are they knock offs?

They are, but are low end, built to compete at the low end of the market.

Try and find an early cub, they are 100% shaft drive and had Kohlers, NO belts to mess with! Should be able to find one in the $3-500 range.

Greg

I had two of the old cubs, they are tough tractors. Plowed with one, mowed with the other. Cant remember the numbers but they were both late 70 early 80's tractors

spend the same amount on an older tractor and get one that is built well. if you stay with jd all the parts are still available. probably cub also?

This could get heated... a Deere vs. IH debate....

I've had both and pulled both. I prefer the Deere.

A 110 compares to an x series according to a dealer I was at this year. The belts aren't a problem. I changed the original belts this year.

This could get heated... a Deere vs. IH debate....

I've had both and pulled both. I prefer the Deere.

A 110 compares to an x series according to a dealer I was at this year. The belts aren't a problem. I changed the original belts this year.

I doubt it, for some reason JD is more common that Cubs. Fine with me, it makes it easier to find older Cubs.

As far as the new JD/Cub models, they have both fallen victim to the "build it cheaper" mentality (thanks to MTD for the Cubs and profit margin for JD)
I think that the older machines were just plain over built to the point that you did not need to buy a new machine, so sales suffered.

I doubt it, for some reason JD is more common that Cubs. Fine with me, it makes it easier to find older Cubs.

Around here it is pretty well a 50/50 split, can get to be a very heated discussion. I can throw a rock east and hit a JD dealer, throw it west and hit a Cub dealer'
really..... Do not even think about a Dodge Ford Chevy discussion, well mostly Dodge Ford not as many Chevy do real work.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.