John deere 425

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I recently bought a john deere 425 all wheel steer and 54" deck. I bought it non running and as a project. I got for $200. It's got 1079hrs. The plastic cam gear stripped out which is common on the kawasaki liquid cooled engines. I have done a few. I am going to use this as a spare mower and for the wife and kid to use. I have a grasshopper zero turn to do the main mowing. My question is, has anyone used the aftermarket cam kit which comes with the gaskets off Amazon? I know it's a lot cheaper but won't be a main mower and won't get many hours on it in a year. Just trying to save a little money on it. For curiosity I called a deere dealer and they quoted me $1700 to fix it.

20230402_160606.jpg

Is the part available from Jackssmallengines? I'd be more confident about a part from there rather than Amazon. I'd also call them, if I couldn't find the part on their site.

I have looked up a few different places on oem parts. Also found out that parts for a 2510 kawasaki mule are the same. I can get better pricing through rockymountainatv on most of the parts and they have the same part number.

Reactions: PaulOinMA
Finally got the bugs worked out of this thing. I think anyways. Ran into several other problems along the way. Built my own gauge cluster and also the fuel pump and sending unit. I gotta say it's quite the beast. Mows great. And the most important thing of all, the kiddo loves it. I set the cruise control on al let him drive it around the yard.

20230526_160656.jpg 20230526_145944.jpg 20230526_145935.jpg

Reactions: Gearhead660
Thanks. I have a grasshopper zero turn as well. This mowere is more for the kid and wife.

Thanks. I have a grasshopper zero turn as well. This mowere is more for the kid and wife.
Years ago I bought and fixed up and sold a lot of mower's regular and zero turn and for the past twenty five years or so my personal mower has always been a grasshopper. About 18 years ago because of some health issues at the time my wife didn't like front mount so I bought a mid mount grasshopper and have had mid mount since. Was going to go back to front mount a couple of years ago and found a deal on a new left over two year old mid mount diesel grasshopper. Its a loaded model. I really like it. Hasn't rained in my area the last two years so I still don't have a hundred hours on it. We normally put hundred to hundred fifty hours on a mower a year. Its funny as its pretty green around here on the farm but I still like grasshopper mowers over JD mowers.

Reactions: duramaxman05
Years ago I bought and fixed up and sold a lot of mower's regular and zero turn and for the past twenty five years or so my personal mower has always been a grasshopper. About 18 years ago because of some health issues at the time my wife didn't like front mount so I bought a mid mount grasshopper and have had mid mount since. Was going to go back to front mount a couple of years ago and found a deal on a new left over two year old mid mount diesel grasshopper. Its a loaded model. I really like it. Hasn't rained in my area the last two years so I still don't have a hundred hours on it. We normally put hundred to hundred fifty hours on a mower a year. Its funny as its pretty green around here on the farm but I still like grasshopper mowers over JD mowers.
Grasshopper is the mower I least work on. I do mechanic work on the side. They are just good mowers. Mine is a 2010.5 223 and it has 230hr on it. I bought it new. Should last me a long time yet.