Johnson trubble shooting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

motocrzed

Hearth Supporter
Feb 13, 2010
Wisconsin
I am having problems with my wood burner making a humming/ buzing noise. It sounds like it is comming from behind the temperature gauge which has been reading a hotter temperature than what it really is. The needle is like buried in the gauge. The fans still kick on when they need to (under 150 deg). Also the air blowing though the exchanger is not as hot as it should be. there doesnt seem to be anyone close by that can service my burner so need some help thanks

Tough call. Get a piece of hose, one end to your ear and the other end scanning the innards. You should hear a much louder noise when you find the problem. If you need more help, report results and with more info help likely will show up. Good luck.

do you have a solenoid that controls the air damper? A buzzing noise sounds like it isn't seating properly or maybe a zone valve.
leaddog

Well this iswhere Iam at now this morning I woke up to the vent blowing cold air so I went downstairs felt the pipes going to the heat exchanger they were luke warm I went to the thermostat and turned it off and turned on the pellot stove. I went outside opened upthe cover that has the temperature gauge in it it was peged all the way I opened it up and it still had wood to burn. Next to the temp gauge there is a little hose that has an elbow at each end that run into the burne and it was cracked so I replaced it guessing it has somthing to do with the temp gauge since its right next to it. I ran some erins and when I came back I searched for the noise (Humming) I took off the back access pannel and right away could tell it was comming from the pump so I wrote down the model # when I came back in the house I felt the heat exchanger lines and they where nice and hot so I turned off the pellot stove and turned the thermostat back on. Is the problem the pump? somthing has to be wrong with the temp gauge since its reading wrong right? I burned alot of pine this year so my burner is dirtier than ever maybe that has somthing to do with it?

not to sure what or where a air dampener or zone valve is. The previous owner didnt leave me a manual. There is a lever in front of the burner that I can pull out like two or three feet but not sure exactly. Iam guessing it cleans inside some pipe because I can feel it scraping the sides That might make sence for it to maybe be a air dampener to help start the fire inside or control the flame kind of like my pellot stove. If thats what a air dampener is.

Status
Not open for further replies.