Jonsered cs2250cs or echo cs-590-20?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulkrum78

Feb 10, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Hello!

I'm currently pondering the purchase of a chainsaw for home use. Primary use will be brush cutting (honeysuckle bushes it the wazoo), some smaller trees, and trimming firewood. I don't need anything big enough to cut a redwood into pieces, but something reliable that will last. I've been looking at the two models mentioned in the subject line.

Thoughts? (Can of worms opened!)

Thanks for thoughts in advance!

I don't know much about echo. I do know a fair amount about Jonsered and Husky.

The Jonsered 2250 is the same saw as the Husky 450. Take your pick red or orange . Same saw under the cover. Good 50cc homeowner and farm saw. It's a plastic clam shell design. That's not a bad thing it's just not as solidly constructed as a commercial grade saw with magnesium cases and the cylinder bolted directly to the cases. Still though a well designed saw that should work well for years.

The echo is a 60cc saw. Also im assuming it's a commercial grade type of construction. So if the price is the same, I would probably choose the echo. Bigger displacement saw with magnesium case construction makes the decision easy for me.

If the Jonsered is less cost then it comes down to the price point you want to be at and what fits your needs better.

If I were spending my money, and it had to be one of these saws, I'd take the echo. And I am a Jonsered fan, I own 2 of them, and have been a husky fan for a long time ( husky owns Jonsered )

If you like the 50cc saws you may want to consider looking at the Dolmar 5105. It's 50cc and professional grade. It's engineered and manufactured in Germany and is one nice saw. I'm guessing the price is in the same ball park of the saws your looking at. Dolmar represents a great value for the amount of saw you get for the money.

Last edited:
I don't know much about echo. I do know a fair amount about Jonsered and Husky.

The Jonsered 2250 is the same saw as the Husky 450. Take your pick red or orange . Same saw under the cover. Good 50cc homeowner and farm saw. It's a plastic clam shell design. That's not a bad thing it's just not as solidly constructed as a commercial grade saw with magnesium cases and the cylinder bolted directly to the cases. Still though a well designed saw that should work well for years.

The echo is a 60cc saw. Also im assuming it's a commercial grade type of construction. So if the price is the same, I would probably choose the echo. Bigger displacement saw with magnesium case construction makes the decision easy for me.

If the Jonsered is less cost then it comes down to the price point you want to be at and what fits your needs better.

If I were spending my money, and it had to be one of these saws, I'd take the echo. And I am a Jonsered fan, I own 2 of them, and have been a husky fan for a long time ( husky owns Jonsered )

If you like the 50cc saws you may want to consider looking at the Dolmar 5105. It's 50cc and professional grade. It's engineered and manufactured in Germany and is one nice saw. I'm guessing the price is in the same ball park of the saws your looking at. Dolmar represents a great value for the amount of saw you get for the money.
I like the looks of the Dolmar, my only reservation is distance to a dealer for repairs ~2 hr each way. I have a husky dealer about ten minutes from home and a home depot right across the street from work...

Question regarding the Dolmar. How important is pitch? Thoughts on Dolmar 510a?

I like the looks of the Dolmar, my only reservation is distance to a dealer for repairs ~2 hr each way. I have a husky dealer about ten minutes from home and a home depot right across the street from work...

Question regarding the Dolmar. How important is pitch? Thoughts on Dolmar 510a?

By pitch I assume you are asking about chain pitch. On a 50cc saw ( really any saw under 60cc ) I believe a .325 pitch bar and chain is your best option. The reason is because .325 chain is lighter than regular 3/8 pitch chain. The idea is to not rob the saws power too much just to spin the chain since 50cc saws produce less power and torque. You can run regular 3/8 chain on a 50cc saw more so with a shorter bar say 16 inch or less. However on my 50cc saw I run .325 pitch chain. It just cuts faster.

Most if not all of your 50cc saws will probably come with .325 The Dolmar 5105 is a very strong saw and I'm not sure but perhaps they are fitted with a 3/8. You can run either.

On the echo, because it's a 60cc saw, you could run either .325 or the larger and heavier 3/8 pitch regular chain. I'm guessing the 60cc echo comes fitted in 3/8 though.

Both pitches of chain cut fine when sharp. If dull then no chain in the world will cut good.

If your looking at small says around 40cc or less, they usually run what's called a low profile 3/8 chain which is smaller and lighter yet than .325.

As for Dolmar ya that's a far drive to a dealer. And dealer support is important especially if you don't do your own maintenance. The Dolmar 510 is also an excellent saw. To the best of my knowledge it still uses commercial grade construction. It's basically a bigger Dolmar 421 which uses commercial grade construction but is smaller at 42cc. I know this because I've used one before ( 421) and was very impressed.

If you go handle the Dolmar, compared to the Jonsered 2250 and Husky 450 anyways, I think you will sense the overall quality feel and looks of the construction on it as just simply being better put together. Hard to describe but should be obvious when you handle them.

That said though the Johnsered 2250 and Husky 450 are excellent saws too and I know a couple guys who have processed a lot of firewood with them.

If you like the Jonsered 2250 like I mentioned it is a Husky 450. So if you have a husky dealer that could be an option. Also if you sell the saw later on, you might have an easier time selling the Husky than you would the Jonsered just because of the better brand recognition. Although that probably depends on what's big in your area.

You could also look at the Stihl 271. I don't know pricing but it's probably around the same as the ones your looking at. It's a nice 50cc homeowner and farm saw. Same type of construction as the Jonsered and Huskys your looking at. Seems like a good saw but I don't have any experience with it.

Last edited:
Apparently the echo is the less professional model in their line, with plastic handle and whatnot...

I like Stihl (my dad has one I borrow when I can), and the same place that sells Husky sells their products. I may stop in and take a look around tomorrow.

I like the Dolmar a lot. I guess the real question is whether going to a dealer vs a general chainsaw repair is a big deal?

Apparently the echo is the less professional model in their line, with plastic handle and whatnot...

I like Stihl (my dad has one I borrow when I can), and the same place that sells Husky sells their products. I may stop in and take a look around tomorrow.

I like the Dolmar a lot. I guess the real question is whether going to a dealer vs a general chainsaw repair is a big deal?

I don't know much about echo.

Dolmar is excellent . Their biggest problem is a lack of dealers. So brand awareness suffers too. But they are an old brand and been around as long as Stihl. In certain parts of the country they are very popular. They are owned by Makita the power tool company. But their saws ( both Dolmar and Makita) are made by Dolmar at the plant in Germany.

I think a general repair shop would be fine unless you needed warranty stuff. Obviously a general repair shop probably doesn't stock parts either. So if you need repair it might take longer.

As for chain just remember .325 and 3/8 are not interchangeable. To change from one to another requires not only a new bar but also a different drive sprocket. Honestly I'd probably just run whatever the saw comes with.

Also 50cc saws will come fitted with low kick back chain ( I think it's a requirement some law or something not sure they just all do) so you can fit a full chisel non safety chain on it and see improved cutting efficiency in whatever pitch it's fitted with. Perhaps work that into the deal. Most dealers will throw in an extra chain with a saw purchase.

Last edited:
I ran across a (used) Makita dcs642120q. 20", 64cc on Home Depot's site for $322. Thoughts?

I ran across a (used) Makita dcs642120q. 20", 64cc on Home Depot's site for $322. Thoughts?

Excellent saw. It's a blue Dolmar 6400 same exact saw. Bigger designed saw and heavier than what your looking at. Also much more powerful and capable in big wood. Closer in performance to a 70cc saw than a 60cc saw.

Home Depot has those for their rental fleet. They don't sell them new I don't think. So it's a used rental. Look it over good because rentals get used by lots of inexperienced users who don't give a crap about the tool .

If the saws clean and in great shape it's a good deal at that price.

For your intended use, weight and bulk would be a major downside of that saw. As an owner of a 6401, there's no way I'd want to be doing that trimming and brush cutting with it. Hold one in the air as if performing a sideways cut, and you'll quickly know what I mean.

For your intended use, weight and bulk would be a major downside of that saw. As an owner of a 6401, there's no way I'd want to be doing that trimming and brush cutting with it. Hold one in the air as if performing a sideways cut, and you'll quickly know what I mean.

I agree 100 percent. I lost track of what your intended use will be. I re read the 1 st post.

A 50cc will be about perfect for your plans. Light enough to cut brush. Strong enough to cut many sized trees. You could run a 16 inch bar for nimble brush clearing and a 20 inch bar for tree work and firewood etc

50cc it is. Really pondering that Dolmar 5105...

Anyone had any experience with chainsaws direct or SLE equipment?

I agree 100 percent. I lost track of what your intended use will be. I re read the 1 st post.

A 50cc will be about perfect for your plans. Light enough to cut brush. Strong enough to cut many sized trees. You could run a 16 inch bar for nimble brush clearing and a 20 inch bar for tree work and firewood etc
Thoughts (since I'm looking at Husky's site) on the 455?

It sounds like your needs are basically the same as mine. I agree that you don't want to underestimate the importance of size and weight. That's the main reason I went with a 40cc. (Husq 440e). My needs are modest but I just felled and cut up a few trees in the area of 12" dia. with no problem. It has an 18 bar but I could have used a 16" just as well. Sometimes I wish I'd gotten a 50cc head, but not often and the convenience of the 440e trumps the occasional need for more and I can borrow a bigger one if I need it. But that's me and probably a 50 will work out well and be a little more versatile.

For limbing and brush, a small saw is really nice to have, and most pros will have a small saw just for that.

For the trimming you mentioned, you want a light weight saw. Much of it may also be accomplished much easier and safer with a pole saw or brush cutter (think weed whacker with saw blade).

Do you intend to produce firewood for heating your house or selling?

For the trimming you mentioned, you want a light weight saw. Much of it may also be accomplished much easier and safer with a pole saw or brush cutter (think weed whacker with saw blade).

Do you intend to produce firewood for heating your house or selling?
Mostly trimming and some logs for firewood around the house. I'm not looking to cut down all the tress around my house by any means, but there are a couple I'd like to see go. I have neighbors though with other ideas about the tress on their property...

Reactions: Wildo
I've cut honeysuckle, multiflora rose, and some out of control burning bush around a couple houses with a 346XP (16", 50cc, 10.6 lb.powerhead). It got the job done, but I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier for those jobs.

A decent 50cc saw with a sharp full chisel chain can very effectively produce firewood. I've had that saw in lots of hardwoods as wide as the bar is long, and it does very well.

Mostly trimming and some logs for firewood around the house. I'm not looking to cut down all the tress around my house by any means, but there are a couple I'd like to see go. I have neighbors though with other ideas about the tress on their property...
I use my 440e to prepare about 3 cords of firewood a year including a lot of stuff in the woods. I rarely wish I had more cc. But I'm over 70 now and really appreciate the lighter weight. I'm not selling on any brand or model, but there's a lot to be said for small saws. I do appreciate the quality issue, though.

[QUOTE="TreePointer, post: 2067100, member: 14645"

A decent 50cc saw with a sharp full chisel chain can very effectively cut wood. I've had that saw in lots of hardwoods as wide as the bar, and it does very well.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I've got an 18 inch bar on my 2252 Jonsered 50cc saw and I've cut oaks as big as 30 inches. It just requires cutting from both sides. Yes its slow going compared to a bigger saw but it can do it no problem. Then it's light enough to use for clearing the buckthorn and for that I'm leaning over cutting horizontal at ground level. Also agree I wouldn't want anything bigger for brush and buckthorn.

Theres a reason a good 50cc saw is considered by many to be the perfect size saw for home and farm use.

Reactions: TreePointer
I've cut honeysuckle, multiflora rose, and some out of control burning bush around a couple houses with a 346XP (16", 50cc, 10.6 lb.powerhead). It got the job done, but I certainly wouldn't want anything heavier for those jobs.

A decent 50cc saw with a sharp full chisel chain can very effectively produce firewood. I've had that saw in lots of hardwoods as wide as the bar is long, and it does very well.
I just read this post from TreePointer. I see that the 346xp head is only slightly heavier than my 440, so I'd go for that one or similar...

FWIW, one of my brothers does all that OP mentioned with a 42cc Craftsman. It gets the job done and he's happy.

One day, I'll need to deal with this in my front yard... 3b13850054df8e81758f9ef737a89ca4.jpg

And the middle of three in this one is dead...

c41f67ed6e1d7571a6c0b23ce2283b89.jpg

But for the most part, nothing more than maybe 8-10" diameter to worry about?

Since 2008, I've owned over a half dozen saws from 30cc to 80cc. I trim, prune, and drop trees, and I often will produce 5+ cords of firewood per year on the 75+ acres I maintain on two separate sites. When something needs to be cut with a chainsaw, the vast majority of the time I will pick up my 50cc saw with 16" bar.

One day, I'll need to deal with this in my front yard...

And the middle of three in this one is dead...

But for the most part, nothing more than maybe 8-10" diameter to worry about?

I would have no issues over using a 50cc saw to process those trees into firewood.

You won't win any timed races to see how long it takes you to limb and buck up 16 inch length firewood rounds, but you will get it done with a 50cc saw. You can run up to a 20inch bar on a 50cc. That gives you well up to 40 inches to cut from side to side.

Again it will take a little longer. But it will do it. No sweat

If you were cutting trees like that all the time or doing it on a time schedule then sure perhaps step up to a 60cc but since you want one saw to do everything including the brush clearing, the 50cc will get those trees processed.

I wouldn't go any smaller though than 50cc for those trees. And having a higher output 50cc pro saw will be faster than the lower power rated ones you are also looking at. But they will all do the job

Last edited:
Reactions: Sprinter
Just having done a little more homework, It seems like 50 cc is quite a sweet spot. Much larger, they get heavy fast. The prices are modest and can get nearly anything done from small to large-ish. I'm fine with my 40cc but I'd probably be a little happier with a 50 in the long run.

I do think that one needs to carefully consider the various models in each category, though. Considering that a chain saw is a long-term investment, a little more money is easily justifiable for an increase in quality and endurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.