Jotul 118b top plate compatible with f118 black bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hello. I recently purchased a Jotul 118b with the moose scene on the side. The stovepipe exits the back and the top plate does not have a hole for an adapter. I've seen pictures online of the f118 black bear which show the ability of the stovepipe to exit through the top plate. Are the top plates interchangeable or did the 118b ever have a top plate with a stovepipe hole? I have limited space and it will be nearly impossible for me to fit it with the pipe exiting the rear. My only other not so clever option would be for my stovepipe to extend from the stovepipe box, put a 45 degree angle to get the pipe closer to the wall (adobe wall/ fireproof) and then the 90 degree angle into the back of the stove. But I don't think that works for draw, does it? I hope I'm explaining it well enough that someone can form a mental picture. Thank you!

Can you describe or show the installation challenges and what the installation plan is? Include clearances. Perhaps there is another way to solve this issue? The second option may work, this stove is not as demanding for the draft as newer stoves. How tall is the chimney after the thimble?

Thanks for the response. I’ll post pictures of stovepipe clearances for with current stove installed. The next two pictures are doctored with my ideas for pipe placement. The 118b has three options for pipe placement. Back or on the right and left sides towards the back. Unfortunately the stove is still in the back of my Subaru. Waiting for a couple strong friends…

You_Doodle_2023-05-31T20_29_19Z.jpeg You_Doodle_2023-05-31T20_31_37Z.jpeg You_Doodle_2023-05-31T20_34_54Z.jpeg You_Doodle_2023-05-31T20_38_10Z.jpeg

There is no window on the F118. What about placing it parallel to the right side wall and going straight up from an elbow (or tee) on the rear?

PS: My first reaction was concern about clearances. I had to remind myself that this is an adobe home with non-combustible walls.

I can place it parallel to the wall if need be but my house is very small and i'll have to scrap my dining table if i do that. if the last photo with my drawing is spacially possible, will that pipe configuration draw?
Yes, it will still draft. It might take a little preheating on mild temperature days, but the stove is not as fussy about the draft as modern stoves are.

With a good fire burning, this stove is very radiant on the sides. It's not shielded with a cabinet jacket like the current stove. How close will it be to the dining room table and chairs?

Can you describe or show the installation challenges and what the installation plan is? Include clearances. Perhaps there is another way to solve this issue? The second option may work, this stove is not as demanding for the draft as newer stoves. How tall is the chimney after the thimble?
I think there is 8 feet of double wall up top.

It turns out that the stove doesn’t take up as much space as I thought it would in that corner. I don’t think I can go straight up from the back but I think with a little tweaking, I will be able to have it exit the rear.

I’ll post another pic when I have it moved into place and get the pipe back in. When in position I think the stove will be a foot from the wall and about three and a half feet from the dining table.

IMG_5044.jpeg IMG_5046.jpeg

Play with the options. Maybe try placing it at a 45º angle with the elbow or tee on the back coming up to an offset.

Play with the options. Maybe try placing it at a 45º angle with the elbow or tee on the back coming up to an offset.
yes i think that is my plan, though i can't picture where a tee would go. i see you have the 602. i ordered that when i moved into my house but they never got it into the store due to shipping in 2020. does that use the same 4" to 6" adapter that i would use? this is the part i'm looking at : https://www.rockymountainstove.com/jotul-metric-vent-adapter-124817/ pretty dang expensive. i'm assuming it will hook up to my duravent 6" pipe

The F602 and I think the F118 use a 125mm to 150 mm adapter.

I haven't tried it, but I suspect something like this would work
Amazon product ASIN B00RH4WM3AIt's interesting that this appears to be much less expensive on the other side of the pond.