Jotul 12 Firelight Repair Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgilmore

Nov 8, 2011
Hi all,
I bought my first house in late April and inherited a 1996 Jotul 12 Firelight that the previous owners used to supplement an inefficient, gravity-fed heating system. Coming from a wood-burning household, I figured I would continue to use the stove for a few years until I upgraded the heating system.

After cleaning out the stove and taking a look at the interior, it became clear that this stove has been abused and is in need of some serious repair. I brought some pictures by my local Jotul dealer, and they helped me determine and price-out what parts I’ll likely need.

My house is approximately 1800 sq ft, but we keep the third floor closed off so it’s more like 1200 sq ft to heat. The stove dealer said the stove was likely bigger than needed for the house. It is attached to a pre-fab aluminum chimney.

Below are pictures of the interior and exterior of the stove. I’ve also attached a blown-out diagram that the dealer provided to help figure out what parts to order. The dealer helped me identify the following parts (numbers circled on the diagram):
#26 – 103327 – Rear Burn Plate ($99.39)
#79 – 04-1248454 – ($242.75)
#78 – 126421 – Catalyst ($297.18)
#77 – 04-128455 – Catalyst Chamber ($62.00)
#80 – 04-128456 – Bottom ($54.56)

With tax it comes to about $800. I’m willing to spend the money on the parts to get the stove into good working condition and hopefully keep my gas bill down this winter.

That said, I have a few questions:
1. Does it look like I should order any other parts?
2. How difficult do you anticipate the repairs being after I’ve gotten the parts? My dad is quite handy and a veteran wood-burner, so I’m not too worried barring something overly complex.
3. What are some general tips for prolonging the life of these new components?
4. Do you think selling the stove in the future is a reasonable expectation? After repair and a 2-3 years of (responsible) use, what do you think it would be worth?

Thanks for your help!

-bgilmore

Attachments

• Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 4,676
  • IMAG1363.jpg
    IMAG1363.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,282
  • IMAG1365.jpg
    IMAG1365.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,134
  • IMAG1366.jpg
    IMAG1366.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,106
  • IMAG1390.jpg
    IMAG1390.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMAG1394.jpg
    IMAG1394.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,108
  • IMAG1395.jpg
    IMAG1395.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,132
  • Interior - Back.jpg
    Interior - Back.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,153
Wow, that thing does look abused.

Personal opinion here....if you are looking for the easier route out, buy a new EPA stove like the popular (here) ENglander NC-20 (cheap, but a lot for the $$)....

If you look around, you an find one new or slightly used for somewhat close to what you'd be spending.

I'd rather see you sell this baby to someone who wants to restore it purely as a labor of love......project.

That may not answer your questions exactly....but I always think long and hard once the total parts for a stove rebuild get much over about 5-600.

Welcome to the forum. It does look quite abused. Are there any cracks on the bottom, around the ash pan door? Sometimes people open the ash pan door to help start a fire, but can lead to an overfire in this area. In good condition, I've seen them listed on craigslist for around 800-1200, so it is possible to get some money back in a few years. The price for the catalyst looks high, I've seen them online for around 150-200.

To get an idea of a rebuild on this stove, check out this thread: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/54469/

I bought mine for $250 last spring, but it didn't need as much work. It is still collecting dust in my garage as I haven't had the time to fix it up. If you decide you'd rather sell it and get a new stove, where are you located? and are you interested in parting it out? :)

Firelight CBs are great, too.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.