Jotul 121

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jframe38

Oct 18, 2018
Kansas City Kansas
Hello I have a jotul 121 elg it seems it’s one of the rare jotul models information is rather scarce on this particular stove I fell in love with it the first time I laid eyes on it

it is my opinion a cast iron work of art any bit of information on this stove will be greatly appreciated.

I see that one of the side curtains if you will aka baffles are cracked maybe 4 inches up starting from the bottom and trending upwards these replacement parts are unbelievably expensive to the tune of 300 dollars per side. The baffles on the top that act to divert the smoke and try into get flashover temperature at firebox ceiling height are 180 per Side this part comes in two pieces it to my limited knowledge one of the most expensive stoves to have to rebuild they quit making these items in the mid 80’s I do not have the money to buy all new internals if I inadvertently over fire this beautiful stove I have entertained the idea of lining the fire box with ceramic fiber board to aid in the longevity of these parts what are your thoughts and ideas on these issues and about this stove in general

Thank you

Dan

c1e74ae202044c2a72318bc69ff176e1.jpg 98822e0ec1f3c3e480bcfca3ff13b5a6.jpg 0c21cadccb272f0182b43cf10bd2199e.jpg ac3d5650ccea06500798def5e1817aa2.jpg fefc72a80db54b0a193d6d0e496aa17d.jpg

Reactions: practicalolivia
That is an uncommon find. The baffle plates look in good condition. If only one burn plate is shot, then that is all that needs to be replaced. It will last many years. I can only get a peek at the upper chamber burn plates but they look ok. It would be good to check. FWIW, there are some more expensive stoves for rebuilding. This is a classic. Keeping it up will help maintain its value.

Note, the stove will have to be placed much farther from the walls to honor its clearance requirements. It's a serious heater. Is there a label on the rear of the stove showing this? It needs 38" clearance from the walls. This can be reduced to 12" with proper NFPA 211 wall shielding. Also, have you budgeted for a safe and proper chimney system for the stove?

Last edited:
The baffle plates look in good condition. If only one burn plate is shot, then that is all that needs to be replaced. It will last many years.

Note, the stove will have to be placed much farther from the walls to honor its clearance requirements. It's a serious heater. Is there a label on the rear of the stove showing this? If not, it needs 38" clearance from the walls. This can be reduced to 12" with proper NFPA 211 wall shielding. Also, have you budgeted for a safe and proper chimney system for the stove?

Thank you so much for replying this is my first stove I have ever had and I’m a total novice I basically will do anything to get this stove installed correctly I have to trust this thing with my families safety and that means learning from the amazing people in this forum about proper installation and burning techniques I will definitely be keeping this stove a proper distance from the wall

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jframe38
That beauty is a Moose!, in name and performance. Just replacing one we burned for 30+ years - hard to find baffles any more. You will need good accurate clearance as it gets pretty hot