New Jotul Oslo V3 for the garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Two time Vesta award winner, including Best in Show and Best New Technology, the Jøtul F 500 V3 Oslo has quickly become one of the most recognized wood stoves on the market. Utilizing patented Jøtul Fusion™ Technology, the F 500 V3 Oslo, was able to combine the best aspects of a typical non-catalytic wood stove with ground breaking Jøtul High Flow™ Combustor technology to create a clean burning wood stove that operates without the need for a bypass. The absence of a combustor bypass allows the F 500 V3 Oslo to operate in clean burn mode 100% of the time.

Ok. Then I don't know what your (smaller) reference is, but my cat is exactly the same.
I thought this was standard.
If I’ve misled you somehow I’m sorry. When did I “smaller”? This Cat is unique to Jotul.

In post 22 you said the cells were much larger than other cats.
So your reference for another cats has smaller cells.

My observations (of my cat that came with the stove and the replacement I bought last summer from Midwest hearth) is that this cat in your pic is exactly the same as mine (possibly barring outside dimensions).

Of course my observation is of a very small sample set of only two. But it appears to me that the cell size is not unique is all I'm saying.

In post 22 you said the cells were much larger than other cats.
So your reference for another cats has smaller cells.

My observations (of my cat that came with the stove and the replacement I bought last summer from Midwest hearth) is that this cat in your pic is exactly the same as mine (possibly barring outside dimensions).

Of course my observation is of a very small sample set of only two. But it appears to me that the cell size is not unique is all I'm saying.
Ok, the cells are slightly larger. On a big cat like this, that makes a huge difference I’d expect.

Reactions: stoveliker
Sounds like top down starts to fire the secondaries quickly would make this stove run as clean as possible and help preserve the cat somewhat?

So after nearly a full season of running the V3 I pulled the cat. I’ve ran it round the clock pretty hard for the season, and used whatever wood I had, it didn’t care if it was underseasoned as long as the stove was hot. I haven’t brushed the cat once, not even before the pic. I have 0 complaints after getting some first hand experience. I have a few complaints about the stove, nothing to do with the new combustion system though. I know folks have trouble with cat failure, I’ve seen it first hand, but this one held up perfectly. It’s the original design too. It’s been redesigned since this model.

View attachment 325790 View attachment 325791
I thought the original one was a large cell ceramic cat. Am I wrong?

I thought the original one was a large cell ceramic cat. Am I wrong?
This is an original, it was on display at the store for a few years before I brought it home. In person you can tells the cells are little bigger than a standard steel cat.

Sounds like top down starts to fire the secondaries quickly would make this stove run as clean as possible and help preserve the cat somewhat?
With a top down fire I see almost no smoke. Within 5 minutes I’d say it’s smoke free most of the time. Preserving the cat, not sure. A lot of folks have cats clogging up and falling apart. I put this thing through the wringer and just haven’t experienced failure like so many have. I can’t say what the difference is..

Reactions: bigealta and Todd
With a top down fire I see almost no smoke. Within 5 minutes I’d say it’s smoke free most of the time. Preserving the cat, not sure. A lot of folks have cats clogging up and falling apart. I put this thing through the wringer and just haven’t experienced failure like so many have. I can’t say what the difference is..
That's very interesting. Could be older model came off a good production run, or maybe user running it well even with a tuff burning test run.

That's very interesting. Could be older model came off a good production run, or maybe user running it well even with a tuff burning test run.
The earlier ones were the problem . I’m running it hard, but nothing that should hurt a quality stove either.

Reactions: bigealta
This is an original, it was on display at the store for a few years before I brought it home. In person you can tells the cells are little bigger than a standard steel cat.
Is this the same one that you were having issues with the ashpan door sealing? I recall that the initial impression of this stove and the original cat were not good.

Is this the same one that you were having issues with the ashpan door sealing? I recall that the initial impression of this stove and the original cat were not good.
Yes. I was never able to recreate the overfiring issue while I’ve had it. Along with most, I was very skeptical of the combustion system. This one shows no signs of failure after a year.

Reactions: bigealta and EbS-P