Jotul 3 1984

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Tpaull

Jan 20, 2021
Rhode Island
I recently picked up a #3 jotul, don’t know too much about these stoves, the top lid was off of it when I got it, I just went to put it back together and I’m thinking that I’m missing some pieces. I would assume that some how the lid is supposed to be secured to the stove with bolts, but I don’t see any threaded areas on the lid, which is leading me to believe I’m missing something…I do see the tabs on the inside of the outer panels, and I’m sure they wouldn’t be there for no reason. Any help would be appreciated!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I had one for many years. Used it to mostly heat my house. That's a very good old style stove. The lid does not have bolts. Gravity holds it in place. That one looks to be in very good shape.

Perfect! I didn’t know if there was supposed to be a baffle between the lid and the rest of the stove or not. And how should I seal it? Should I put adhesive on the top of the stove as well as the lid and set it on top with weight on it?

You already have the roping on the lid, looks like it's pretty new. That's the seal. The lid does have a front and back side so make sure you put it on correctly and it (the rope) will sit nicely in the raised groove on the body of the stove.

Yes No baffle, wish it did have one. Was thinking about building one but ended up with the much newer EPA Jotul f400.

I don't think there were top anchors for the 3 series until the F3CB.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Nice, those clips are pretty expensive. I forged some from spring steel.