Jotul 3cb vs Englander NC 13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Levy

Dec 10, 2021
Connecticut
Hello all,

I made a man cave in the basement and have been burning the Englander nc13 down there for two years. I was happy with the heat it produced to heat the man cave. Stove was good all around, got the job done. Upstairs I was burning a Jotul 3cb for the past 20 years, always loved the stove. First stove I ever owned. Recently, I bought an upgrade for the first floor (not to derail but went with my dream girl - oslo F500 v3- been loving it!) I rebuilt the 3cb, and put it in the basement, removed the NC13.

So.... I have a fond attachment to the 3cb, prettier stove, been with me for 20 years and kept me warm. But I'm feeling like I was getting better heat down there with the nc13??? I thought they would be comparable, am I wrong here? A quick google search says 3cb = 42,000 btus an hour vs NC13 = 60,000, is that a significant difference?

Am I missing something with cast iron vs steel? Maybe I haven't yet to notice a longer period of heat out of the 3cb cast iron stove? Considering going back to the NC13.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

John
=

The 13-NC has almost 50% more fuel capacity.

Reactions: Levy