Jotul 600 leg modification (shortening)???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adeyo

Dec 13, 2012
I'm in the process of buying a used Jotul 600. The problem is, clearance on my fireplace is only 29" high (nothing combustible, stone ground, stone mantel, stone fireplace). While the 600 is 31.5" tall, the clearance for the rear pipe is 30.5". Essentially, the stove will be in front of the fireplace (not recessed into the fireplace) but i must still account for the exhaust pipe. I've read that there are not short legs for this model, but does anyone know if there are any legs that i can buy to shorten it a bit? I don't like the idea of grinding off the bottom 2" of each leg!

Any creative ideas of suggestions? Any aftermarket company that could sell shorter legs? any way to make the oslo short legs work for this stove etc?

Please advise.

Thanks!

Adam

I think Jotul legs are pretty much the same for most of the bigger models. I could be wrong but the short legs for the 500 might bolt right up. Someone might know for sure. I've never tried it, but they sure look the same.

I have a Jotul F600 and while I can't help you out with information on whether the Oslo short legs will work, I can tell you that you shouldn't have a problem with lowering the stove due to heat issues. The Jotul F600 has an ash pan and heat shield underneath it and I can tell you from experience very little heat radiates out the bottom. On another stove I owned I had to shorten the legs for installation and I simply cut them off with a hack saw and it worked out fine. Good luck.

Hi Adam, there is no short leg kit for the firelight. I don't think the short leg kit will bolt up to a firelight either, or people would have done that already. In your case, the only thing that can be done is shorten its original legs. Good luck.

I don't think the short leg kit will bolt up to a firelight either, or people would have done that already.
Theres always a first! I've seen lots and lots of Jotul legs, and there's not much of a noticeable difference, even the legs from the 70's look the same as the current models. It's worth a shot.

There's a guy on here named Sticks that would probably know this. Hopefully he will know for sure. He kinda knows all things stove related!

Theres always a first! I've seen lots and lots of Jotul legs, and there's not much of a noticeable difference, even the legs from the 70's look the same as the current models. It's worth a shot.

There's a guy on here named Sticks that would probably know this. Hopefully he will know for sure. He kinda knows all things stove related!

If it were MY stove, I'd buy another set of legs to modify & keep the originals as they are. If you modify them & it gives you issues or your "significant other" thinks it looks "stupid" you'll be able to re-install the correct legs if you need to sell...My $.02...

Reactions: Ashful
I just went out to the shop and compared a set of Jotul short legs and a pair off of a F600. The notch where the bolt goes is exactly in the same position and the same depth. and the distance from the bolt to the front "V" of the leg is the same. They are not the same width but since the 600 is the wide one that wouldn't get in the way. What I don't know is what another cutout in the 600 legs is there to get around. It isn't there in the smaller leg. If my digital camera wasn't on the fritz I would post pics of them.

There isn't enough difference in the actual leg itself to make me think it would have a problem holding the stove up.

Edit to add: No surprise they don't offer short legs for the F600. Not many fireplaces around that beast will fit in even without legs.

I have a set of used legs I can sell you cheap. If you want to try it out.

Thanks BB for the info. I thought we had tried it before, maybe not. We normally are not allowed to go against MFR's rules at the shop, (no short legs offered as an option, none used) even though it seems sensible that they could be used here, in a fireplace environment, with no clearance issues.

wow...great feedback. thank you all! Thanks BrotherBart for checking into that. There are no Jotul dealers within an hour of me. I'll probably try to round up a set of short oslo legs and see if I can attempt to install it on a firelight. i was thinking of giving up. this gives me hope!

I've seen Oslo legs on eBay several times, but never made note of whether they were the shorts or standard. If you have no local Jotul dealer, you can always call one, order the legs thru them, and have Jotul drop ship right to your house. I've done this a few times. From Bart's description, I'd guess the extra notch in the Firelight leg is to clear the ash pan flange, and it should be easy to grind the same into an Oslo short leg.

I have two Firelight 12's, both installed in a fireplace. One does not translate much heat to the fireplace floor (stone), while the other gets the fireplace floor (brick tile over cement board over cement over stone) very warm. I have not decided whether the difference between the two situations is the stoves or the floors, but I'm not ready to swap the installs to find out.

If going to short legs, you are completely negating any bottom clearance / ember only characteristics of the stove. Better make damn sure your hearth is rated 100% non-combustable. That means masonry directly on earth.

There are plenty of old fireplaces around here, in which that Firelight fits quite well, BrotherBart. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.