Jotul 602 — big crack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ws1511

Nov 6, 2021
Vermont
Hi,

I've got a Jotul 602 I use to heat a ~400 square foot cabin. There is a sizable crack on the rear wall and I'm wondering if there are any good solutions to this, even imperfect ones.

For some background: crack was there last winter (may've gotten a little bigger by now). Also realizing that the stove may be missing a bottom plate? I've had the cabin for two years and never realized that. At this point, I'm just looking to at least get the stove OK through another winter. Probably not "full-time" use, not totally certain yet how much I'll be here.

A neighbor suggested using fire brick in the back with furnace cement as a "quick-ish" solution. I think I saw a video of someone doing this on YouTube. Is this a viable idea? Any others? Again this stove is pretty old, it's passed through multiple owners, so really just looking for something economical and functional.

Photos attached. Thanks for input.

Resized_20231005_111437.jpeg Resized_20231005_111506.jpeg

That's pretty bad. Replace the back. It's not that big of a deal on these small stoves. I did a full rebuild with a new back in about 3 hrs. and that included drilling out and retapping a couple of busted bolts.

To avoid this problem in the future, consider adding a rear heat shield inside the firebox.

Thanks. Yeah it's a big crack. I did read your post about adding a rear heat shield. I haven't seen any about replacing the whole back—I did not realize that was possible. Any resources you suggest?

All I had was the parts diagram. It's a simple stove. Put a ratchet strap around the stove body. Remove the top, then remove the side bolts to the base.

Jotul_F602 parts.jpg

BTW, Some folks try to jamb in longer wood than the stove was designed for and in some cases knock it in so the door can shut. Definitely a very bad idea with hot cast iron (or cast iron in general.

The backs on these stoves can get very hot if overfired. Ours was overfired by a housesitter and cracked the new back :mad:

Thanks. Yeah, this stove was here when we bought the cabin, with the crack (though it's probably gotten bigger). I'm pretty sure the previous owner got this from someone who was getting rid of it for free, so I don't know where it's been / what it's been through.

I probably will eventually want a larger stove for the house I'm building so I'm just trying to keep this going in the most economical way. Replacing the back based on @begreen comments looks ~$400.

How should I put this— any ideas for temporary but effective solutions? Is using firebricks / furnace cement on that back wall not a good idea?

Keep looking on craigslist etc. to find a broken one with a good back, or a used one for a good deal.
A Jotul f100 could also be a good replacement if you run into one.

Reactions: 30WCF
You aught to be covered up with used ones on Craigslist up there. eBay has folks parting them out too.

Easy enough stove to rebuild with a new back. New back wont match because it wont be enamel, but will work all the same. Make sure you get the correct back, there will be 2 options, one from the early pre 1975 models, and the later post 75 models. Once you have your stove apart you will be able to tell which you have based on the pictures on Woodmans.

Id be worried about finding cracks in the sides or top with the back looking that bad.

As for the bottom burn plate, those were only on UL 602 models, not needed as long as you keep an inch of ash/sand in the bottom of the stove to protect the bottom.