Jotul 602 CB Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So I've been messing around with my secondary air with a little tin foil. First I cut off half the air and found it was too much, the secondaries weren't firing much at all and i had to compensate with more primary air. Then I cut the air by about 1/4 and this seems to give me a better burn. I have a slower lazy flame with good secondaries lighting off, my flue temps are lower and the load doesn't off gas all at once like it was before. I seem to have a little more control as of right now but I want to tinker a little more and see how she does on colder windy days.

So I've been messing around with my secondary air with a little tin foil. First I cut off half the air and found it was too much, the secondaries weren't firing much at all and i had to compensate with more primary air. Then I cut the air by about 1/4 and this seems to give me a better burn. I have a slower lazy flame with good secondaries lighting off, my flue temps are lower and the load doesn't off gas all at once like it was before. I seem to have a little more control as of right now but I want to tinker a little more and see how she does on colder windy days.
I think a pipe damper will be the better option in the long run. Unfortunately the secondary intake on my stove is rather hard to see or access without removing the rear heat shield. The 602 probably has the same long thin slot on the back, but perhaps more accessible? How tall is your stack? I have about 24' of chimney total on my interior masonry chimney, but currently oversized 8" square tile lined. My wife won't load it full and I've gotten used to when to turn it down, so I don't have any high temp issues. On occasion the "griddle" will hit 800df at peak, but only for a few minutes. Except for high wind days, then I just don't load it full.

I think a pipe damper will be the better option in the long run. Unfortunately the secondary intake on my stove is rather hard to see or access without removing the rear heat shield. The 602 probably has the same long thin slot on the back, but perhaps more accessible? How tall is your stack? I have about 24' of chimney total on my interior masonry chimney, but currently oversized 8" square tile lined. My wife won't load it full and I've gotten used to when to turn it down, so I don't have any high temp issues. On occasion the "griddle" will hit 800df at peak, but only for a few minutes. Except for high wind days, then I just don't load it full.
The 602 has about a 3" long by 1/4" slot along the bottom back plate. I had to remove the rear heat shield/manufacture plate held on with 2 rivets to access it.

I have 10' of 6" double wall straight up to cathedral ceiling then 12' of 6" class A chimney. Sometimes it doesnt matter how fast I turn down the air, I've even reloaded with the air fully closed and it can still off gas all at once just takes a little longer. I could fill it less but I'd rather do full loads and control the heat output with the air so I dont have to feed it every 1-2 hours.

I don't know how your Morso breathes but the 602's has the primary air slide on the door under the glass but also has an air wash above the glass that isn't controllable so it can really take off. It will sound like a jet engine if I leave it wide open for more than a few minutes.

I may end up installing a damper but dont really want to have another thing to fiddle with if I can make this work. I'm sure like most other stoves Jotul designed and tested this stove around a 15' straight up chimney and made it breath best with that height in mind. If they built it around a 20' or taller chimney I bet the air would be tweaked a bit to compensate.

Reactions: SpaceBus
The 602 has about a 3" long by 1/4" slot along the bottom back plate. I had to remove the rear heat shield/manufacture plate held on with 2 rivets to access it.

I have 10' of 6" double wall straight up to cathedral ceiling then 12' of 6" class A chimney. Sometimes it doesnt matter how fast I turn down the air, I've even reloaded with the air fully closed and it can still off gas all at once just takes a little longer. I could fill it less but I'd rather do full loads and control the heat output with the air so I dont have to feed it every 1-2 hours.

I don't know how your Morso breathes but the 602's has the primary air slide on the door under the glass but also has an air wash above the glass that isn't controllable so it can really take off. It will sound like a jet engine if I leave it wide open for more than a few minutes.

I may end up installing a damper but dont really want to have another thing to fiddle with if I can make this work. I'm sure like most other stoves Jotul designed and tested this stove around a 15' straight up chimney and made it breath best with that height in mind. If they built it around a 20' or taller chimney I bet the air would be tweaked a bit to compensate.

Oh, the Morso has a single primary/airwash control. It's a round draft cap on the door above the glass. I can understand now why you'd like to close the secondary air a bit more. On my stove the 'primary' air becomes secondary air once the cast iron door gets hot, making for only gassification flames, if that makes sense. I never close the draft cap completely, unless I'm burning bio bricks, just until I hear metal scraping and then I back it off a touch. That's usually the only setting I use, but I could burn hotter if necessary.

While the heat shield is off I'd try some rare earth magnets to make it easy to adjust. Maybe put a rod on it to make it a slider?

Here it is the middle of Summer and I'm thinking about wood stoves and thought I'd give a little update.

I ended up covering the secondary air inlet about 1/4 with some magnets and it seemed to be a little more controllable. Still getting 5-9 HR burns and plenty of heat when needed. The stove had no problem keeping the cabin in the low to mid 70 range all Winter even though the outside logs were not caulked and gable were not finished. I expect to see even better results this Winter now that everything is buttoned up and finished.

Attachments

• 0625201834a_HDR.jpg
    0625201834a_HDR.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 133
Looking good Todd.

That turned out well. It's nicely integrated with the house.