Jotul Allagash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pfettig77

Feb 13, 2014
NW Wisconsin
Hi there. I'm normally hanging out in the wood stove section but I have a question about a Jotul Allagash. There's a local online auction near me and there is an older Allagash on there. I think it's going to go for pretty cheap (they have it listed as a Warnock Hersey stove-ha!) I noticed there is no glass in the door so I called and the guy checked and confirmed it - no glass. I know the newer ones have glass - has that always been the case? If there is supposed to be glass and it's gone now, is it worth anything?

Attachments

• 38647562.jpg
    38647562.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 204
Ok. Thanks. So do you think it would be difficult to replace the glass? Is it worth buying? Is there an issue with burning it without the glass?

OK. I won it. $115 with all the vent pipe. How do I go about getting glass for it. Do I have to buy specific Jotul glass or can I have a piece cut somewhere?

Gotta get it from Jotul. It has to have the frame around it to fit and seal.

Ok. Thanks. So do you think it would be difficult to replace the glass? Is it worth buying? Is there an issue with burning it without the glass?

Don't even think about burning it without the glass and frame. If it will even burn it would just sit there and dump the fumes into the room. The exhaust would take the path of least resistance and go out into the room instead of up the chimney.

Something tells me I'm gonna pay more for that than I did the stove...

Maybe a little. But a damn site cheaper in total than the $1600 or so the stove costs new.

Don't even think about burning it without the glass and frame. If it will even burn it would just sit there and dump the fumes into the room. The exhaust would take the path of least resistance and go out into the room instead of up the chimney.

Thanks. That's why I came here - that kind of info.

Maybe a little. But a damn site cheaper in total than the $1600 or so the stove costs new.

I was wrong anyway - it's the exact same price - that's if I only have to replace the glass itself.

I picked up the stove. The glass is missing but the frame and gasket for it are there. Woodman's Parts Plus has shows the part as just a piece of glass. http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/939/715003/Unassigned/Jotul-Stove-Glass.html
Since all it is is a rectangular piece of glass, can I have a piece of high temperature glass cut somewhere else? Anything I need to know about installing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.