Jotul C 450 Kennebec Insert - Extending the Firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beeburns

Nov 11, 2021
Ulster, NY
Thank you for taking time out to read and consider this question:

Is this a DIY project?

I am looking at the manual(page 7 Figure.7) and it seems that all that is required is to remove the "surround assembly" and the access these bolts/screws on the sides, Loosen them and 'pull' the firebox forward...now here is where I think is the trouble as wouldn't pull the firebox forward also pull on the Flue and stove pipe; thereby breaking and bending it?

I have at least another 4" of space to slide/extend this firebox to get more heat out, easier access to thermometer as well.

Anyone done this themself and have any advice.

I will be pulling the 'surround assembly' off this weekend and see how it looks there.

I did a search and found this thread where member "summit" suggests that is is a simple task with it being "just a couple 10mm machine cap screws"...still would like to hear/see someone address my concern of bending/breaking the flue and stove pipe.

I am concerned about bending and breaking the flue or stove pipe by doing this or is the flue 'fixed' in place and not going to be effected when I loosen those 10mm cap screws and pull or 'extend' the firebox forward.

thank you!

Last edited:
Thank you for taking time out to read and consider this question:

Is this a DIY project?

I am looking at the manual(page 7 Figure.7) and it seems that all that is required is to remove the "surround assembly" and the access these bolts/screws on the sides, Loosen them and 'pull' the firebox forward...now here is where I think is the trouble as wouldn't pull the firebox forward also pull on the Flue and stove pipe; thereby breaking and bending it?

I have at least another 4" of space to slide/extend this firebox to get more heat out, easier access to thermometer as well.

Anyone done this themself and have any advice.

I will be pulling the 'surround assembly' off this weekend and see how it looks there.

I did a search and found this thread where member "summit" suggests that is is a simple task with it being "just a couple 10mm machine cap screws"...still would like to hear/see someone address my concern of bending/breaking the flue and stove pipe.

I am concerned about bending and breaking the flue or stove pipe by doing this or is the flue 'fixed' in place and not going to be effected when I loosen those 10mm cap screws and pull or 'extend' the firebox forward.

thank you!
Is the liner a flexible one? How much room is between it and the back of the lintel?

Thank you for the reply.

The details from the install paperwork mention it is a " #304-L alloy stainless steel heavy wall chimney lining system"...not sure if the liner is flexible(will contact the installer tomorrow to see if they might know, although it was done 6years ago)

Tough to tell exactly now with is assembled and running hot, yet it seems to be at least 3"-4" of space between top of stove a lintel.

Thank you for the reply.

The details from the install paperwork mention it is a " #304-L alloy stainless steel heavy wall chimney lining system"...not sure if the liner is flexible(will contact the installer tomorrow to see if they might know, although it was done 6years ago)

Tough to tell exactly now with is assembled and running hot, yet it seems to be at least 3"-4" of space between top of stove a lintel.
That description would typically be used for a flexible liner and a good one you won't damage the liner. Just be sure it stays attached properly