Jotul c550 Rockland tips thread

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Could be they limited travel even more over time but may also be explained by simple minor casting differences. I didn't measure the travel limit on mine from 2011 but was about the same as the pics give or take. It's so sad to see those poor air controls not being able to live up to their full potential.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
So I called the dealer and they checked a few other units that they've had on display; and they told me they all close exactly like what I have shown.

From jatoxico other thread - sounds like this is common place with the 550; and even those that customized it don't shut it down all the way. I'll probably just leave it as is and enjoy the burn.
We’re it me, I’d go to the dealer myself and see what their showroom stove does in terms of the air control. Maybe it’s just me, but I just don’t trust that I’m getting the straight scoop when profit motive is involved. And i imagine that potentially fixing something for them is money out of someone’s pocket other than your own.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
FWIW this is an easy job that I would rather do sooner than later since the more time (burns) goes by the more likely it will be a more difficult and dirty job. Couple bolts and a hand file.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Today was a good day around here to run the Soot Eater. My notes say I did it last year on 12/30 and got about the same amount (1 1/2-2 cups) of brown creosote with a small amount of shiny flakes coming from a few feet away from the cap.

Biggest PITA is getting the baffle assembly and tubes down. Its strength is it's weakness when it comes to cleaning. 7 1/2 years later and all components are still in just about perfect shape. But those hefty cast sections are a tight fit and an awkward reach.

This is my slide travel;
U34__jHG4Q1TAYD78LC4n07vARwIV31JS8BUMLatC4zFSQc-qXKlrnWQlIN1AIlMfJPaq7QPmvodipaH7P=w1247-h935-no.jpg slrxSZgg4eqEN6K9gDcwstsppjYx1hQRbpdyKwz5aenyJH6KuQHhRRC2NmOR2LOwYgpnoqk_yeeDEf1N_6=w1247-h935-no.jpg

Reactions: Soundchasm

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Regarding stove top temp, do you guys basically notice that when I have my rockland on lowest settings, you see the highest temps? Not sure if it’s just me or if this common thing.

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Nice burn going, top right at 525-550.
Regarding stove top temp, do you guys basically notice that when I have my rockland on lowest settings, you see the highest temps? Not sure if it’s just me or if this common thing.
That's normal. Less air in, less air out = the heated gases have more time to transfer heat to the box. Add to that, that the secondaries fire more freely and burn more completely at higher temp and you get those nice stove top temps.

Downside is of course the more heat you "steal" so to speak from what's available the less there is to keep the chimney warm.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Nice burn going, top right at 525-550.

That's normal. Less air in, less air out = the heated gases have more time to transfer heat to the box. Add to that, that the secondaries fire more freely and burn more completely at higher temp and you get those nice stove top temps.

Downside is of course the more heat you "steal" so to speak from what's available the less there is to keep the chimney warm.
I have been experimenting with being on lowest setting as a rule in the last few weeks and have had temps nearing 800, so I want to back away from that. Currently have about a 3/4 load of dry ash in there with air 3/4 closed and cruising nicely at 700, as opposed to seeing that temp keep peaking with ferocious secondaries.
I’m also going to replace door gasket in a couple days, as I can spot some air leakage on lower part of door under the handle ( buildup on inside of door and glass).

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Shutting the air a little earlier and more aggressively can help keep your peak temps down. On a cold start I don't generally cut the air until I'm about at 500 STT but will start shutting long before that on a reload.

But its a dynamic process and can always find an exception that proves the rule. Sometimes you can keep it in check for 30-45 min but eventually the load outgasses and burns down without much control.

This was a common problem I had until I was able to shut the primary that much more as discussed above. At some point if you limit the air going in enough you're able to burn with more control. So that doesn't happen to me really anymore.

Also bigger splits can help with the problem. Just like a load of kindling will easily burn out of control, big splits are easier to manage but of course they have to be dry or you'll just have a cold, smoldering annoying mess.

EJL923

Minister of Fire
Oct 29, 2009
Western Mass
When I did check, yes it can get that high. Now I load, forget, and load again when it’s gone. I learned quickly the 550’s a beast and when comparing with people on here, it just burns that way

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
96333C00-2612-41CB-A69C-15D585E99050.jpeg So this talk about air modification got me thinking. This is a pic of where the doghouse air enters bottom of firebox. I’ve been hearing that there are supposed to be 2 holes. However I see two small holes and a large hole in between the 2 smaller holes. Do this look like everyone else’s?

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Regarding having a stove top thermometer on this insert where the warm air blows out- are folks putting the thermometer in the center or off to side like most other Jotul stoves?

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
Mine is just an inch or two right of center. No particular reason, just easy to see while adjusting the air.

Holderjc

Jan 31, 2019
Dayton OH
I’ve been looking at inserts for a while now. The joyul c550 and the BK Sirocco or princess are on the table as well. Trying to figure out what the best bang for the buck is and what will adequately heat my 2000 sq/ft ranch home! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

jatoxico

Minister of Fire
Aug 8, 2011
Long Island NY
The 550 is a low maintenance high quality unit. You can expect burns times around 6 hrs perhaps a bit more.

As a flush unit it depends on the fans to get the heat out. If you have the hearth room and clearance a stove that projects onto the hearth will have some advantages as far as heating without power and overall heat transfer.

You can expect to have the ability to get longer burn times with a cat stove like BK. At the same time the fire view wont be the best, something the 550 excels at.

Jotul also makes the 350 and 450 one of which can be extended onto the hearth.

Soundchasm

Minister of Fire
Sep 27, 2011
Dayton, OH
www.soundchasm.com
Can anybody find the sticky on blockoff plates? I couldn't find it. I promise I'll bookmark it this time! ;-)

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
Well, I’m doing my last couple of fires for the year. The front face of my Jotul Rockland has been slightly warped for a while. I have experience higher than desired temps as a result. I have replaced gasket, which worked out for a couple months with getting temps back into a good range. When that seemed to stop working, I put a few screws in the doghouse air holes in bottom inside of stove. Worked for a bit but definitely not a long term solution, as I’m again struggling to keep reloads from approach 800 degree stove top temp.
Looking for some advice. I know they sell the cast front face of this insert but I think it’s like 1000 bucks before install. If you all had a slightly warped stove face that was causing an air leak like this, what would you do? What repairs would you try. I would hate to fork over a bunch of money for anything more stove related, but I also don’t want to hurt the liner (2yr old homesaver heavywall) by temps that are hotter than recommended. Last time I checked the liner by removing the stove surround, the liner appeared to have the expected discoloration that I have read as being common on this site, no more no less. Thoughts?

Last edited: