Jotul F 3CB Ash Door Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireRod

Aug 22, 2014
Blackwood, NJ
I'm in the middle of replacing the gaskets on my Jotul F 3CB. The Door and Glass gaskets were a breeze. How do you remove the Ash Door? I searched the Internet, YouTube and this Forum and I can't believe nobody has an answer. I even call the local Jotul dealer, nothing.

Seems easier just to cement the gasket to the door with the door on rather than removing it. It has the head of the hinge above the ash door. This appears to make it a more involved project to remove.

I was just doing the same thing a few days ago and had the same dilemma. Sure, it would be easier if it came off, but it's doable without removing.

That's what I was afraid of, sounds like a lot of fun too! I was hoping there was something I was missing. I can't believe Jotul has a design flaw like that.

Not sure that's a flaw... if the door was easier to remove, it would probably also be easier to screw up or re-install incorrectly via a bent hinge pin or some other way.

But if they designed the door similar to the firebox door it wouldn't even be a topic. The firebox door lifts right off. Why design a door with a pin hinge that you have no access to?

The firebox door lifts right off.
Yes, and that's what allows one to bend a hinge pin. Not that I'm speaking from experience, of course (ha ha).

Thankfully the ash lip is removable or it would really be hard to do.

I talked with a Jotul tech today and was told the ash door gasket is removed and replaced while the door is on the stove. The other option is to drop the whole ash box assembly, remove the heat shield to take the door off. My response was this is a very poor design, and the tech replied he didn't design it. At least my hearth is raised to the height of a cinder block. It should be a little easier than having to work on it laying on the floor.

Ash door gasket complete and 1st burn of the year, going down to 33° overnight. Good thing I did the dollar bill test. The gasket really needed to be replaced.

IMG_5281.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.