Jotul F100: How do I remove the baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

destino

Jan 31, 2017
Taos, NM
I purchased a new baffle for my Jotul F100 but I can't figure out how to get the old one out.

The instructions say "Lift the baffle, which rests on the burn plates, forwards and to the side and then tilt it down and out of the door. (If the product is rear-mounted the top plate may be lifted off and the baffle removed through the top.)"

The front of the current baffle seems to be in grooves in the side of the stove, above the baffle, not resting on the side burn plates. Does this mean I will need to take it apart?

I am "baffled" to say the least.

It's just as the instructions say, lift it up and out of its resting place. Then it will come through the door. It's a very simple design.

Thanks for the reply webby3650!

The baffle had slumped in the middle and pressed outward, wedging it between the walls in the grooves above the fire-wall. This morning I brought the stove outside and cut the end off of the baffle with my angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I will post some pics when I get a sec.

The new baffle fits like a charm -- as instructed it slips up and over the fire-walls no problem. It is merrily burning as I type.

I had a 602 that was that way, ended up being a total rebuild just for a baffle.

Hi - same problem here - but I tried taking out side panels and bottom plate thinking I could then get baffle out through door - no luck, baffle stuck in grooves, and now I can't get side panels and bottom plate back in! Can I go in through the top somehow - is this possible with baffle stuck in there? I think there must be bolts but can I get to them through the top chimney hole, and after 6 years, they probably won't budge? You said you'd post photos of what you did? thanks much!

Thanks for the reply webby3650!

The baffle had slumped in the middle and pressed outward, wedging it between the walls in the grooves above the fire-wall. This morning I brought the stove outside and cut the end off of the baffle with my angle grinder and a cutting wheel. I will post some pics when I get a sec.

The new baffle fits like a charm -- as instructed it slips up and over the fire-walls no problem. It is merrily burning as I type.

The top appears to br removable and gasketed like most Jotuls. I'm not sure how it is attached. The F3CB has a small allen screw reached from the outside at the top on each side. The F400 is bolted from the underside inside the stove. Take a look and tell us which way the F100 is secured.

took it all apart - two bolts hold top on - but baffle still won't come out - needs to be cut out.

took it all apart - two bolts hold top on - but baffle still won't come out - needs to be cut out.
Are the bolts inside, under the lid?

@stovelark can you check with the service dept on baffle removal for the F100?

Hey guys- as most people have found out, the baffle will typically warp and will not lift out like it will when its new. Jotul will suggest to cut or break up baffle as needed- the F118 is pretty much the same way. The F100 baffle rests on the sideplates, its not bolted in. Taking the top off usually will help to extricate the baffle..