Jotul F100 Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TacMed Samaritan

Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I am in Texas so this stove is for the 30-45 seconds of winter we get here each year.

I will be heating a 500 sqft home office and additionally, trying to fan-force heat out of a doorway and into the rest of the house +/-1000 sqft.

I read the FAQs here and it said most people oversize, then under fire, then have buildup in the chimney.

Question is.....if I only need a F100, is it just too small to be worth the $4k for the whole system in your opinion?

I live in Texas, slightly south of the DFW Metroplex. I use a Jotul 500 to supplemental heat the house. It is in a living room of 14 by 32 and I use the central HVAC on fan only operation to circulate the heat to the rest of the house. In doing so I can have the hallway at 74 degrees at 25 outside.
Based on the size of my home which is over 1600 square feet, I recommend an upgrade to a larger Jotul like the Oslo or the slightly less radiant F50. The F100 will be struggling in the lower temperatures.

The F100 is an area heater and that sounds like what you want to do. If so, it's a good fit. The F3CB should be considered too. It takes a larger split.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Do you conduct business with other people in your home office? A wood stove makes an area much more warm, inviting, and cozy when it's not very nice out. 500 sqft is a fairly large office, so I think you would enjoy it as well. Even if it doesn't get super cold out where you live, you will like the stove more than any other type of heat, especially if it looks great too like the Jotuls.

Do you conduct business with other people in your home office? A wood stove makes an area much more warm, inviting, and cozy when it's not very nice out. 500 sqft is a fairly large office, so I think you would enjoy it as well. Even if it doesn't get super cold out where you live, you will like the stove more than any other type of heat, especially if it looks great too like the Jotuls.

I would on occasion have others in my office but mainly its for me.

It's $4k to $5k for something that I will use for two months out of the year is the kicker.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I would on occasion have others in my office but mainly its for me.

It's $4k to $5k for something that I will use for two months out of the year is the kicker.
You will probably end up using it far more often than you think. I burn if the house is under 68f. I don't burn it all day, just a small fire. The house comes up to 72-75f and then I do nothing with the stove until the next day. If your house is well insulated a stove works wonderful for low heat loads, especially on a small stove. My stove is a Morso 2b Classic, smaller than the F100/F3CB and on a low load day I might only put 6-8 lbs of wood in it. When winter really gets going I burn 24/7, but that's another story.