Jotul f100 top baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jdrab

Nov 21, 2022
West Virginia
Hi everyone! I haven’t been active here to several years since since moving to a house that too difficult to install a stove.

We’ve build another house with a stove in mind and finally got my coveted Jotul.

It’s a small one, the F100. I bought it used and was curious about the top baffle, does it look warped or is this the design? I was told it had never been over fired and I couldn’t find any side profiles online so I assumed this was the way the cast was formed.

Good to be back. Thanks for reading!

DE679BCE-ACD7-4C8D-9B29-E551FEABF08E.jpeg BF0FC251-D2D7-4E39-9FDE-89C87BEC4559.jpeg

I don't believe that baffle is supposed to look like that.
Take a look at the exploded schematic in your owner's
manual to see what the actual shape should be.

Reactions: Todd
It's definitely warped and sagging. The front edge should be straight.

That is very warped and may need to be cut out. And be careful filling the stove all the way to the baffle, these are small stoves only meant to max 1000 sq feet, but they work better for 700sq ft.

Running it very full all the time will result in the baffle failing more, then the top will inevitably crack.

Yes, very warped.
I bought a spare when I got my stove, as I've read of this happening enough for some people, figured I'd have it so I never need it! :)

Reactions: DAKSY
That’s what they do it’s I had my chimney guy cut it out it’s a big job, that being said it’s a good stove. I eventually replaced it did not like the east west loading and replaced it with a 602 v2 a little smaller but loads north south that I like better

That is very warped and may need to be cut out. And be careful filling the stove all the way to the baffle, these are small stoves only meant to max 1000 sq feet, but they work better for 700sq ft.

Running it very full all the time will result in the baffle failing more, then the top will inevitably crack.
Thank you! Yes the capacity has been limited due to the warping.

I purchased this stove used, last month. It didn’t look quite right when I first saw it so I assumed I’d have to replace the baffle sooner than later.

Undersized for sure but we are only using it for supplemental heat in our 2800 sqft home (1824sqft downstairs / R21 in the walls / R60 in the attic). It’s a great little stove! Once I have a bed of coals established it hums along at 500°-600° at half damper with one or two pieces of wood.

Eventually I’ll upgrade to a larger stove but I’m a Jotul fan for life!!

Thanks to everyone who commented. The diagram and stock photos didn’t give a great profile of the baffle so your expertise was greatly appreciated!

Reactions: D. Hermit