Jotul F118CB stove experiences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
That is about right. I do think the 602 door is the same door as the 118cb. I have to be careful loading the 118. You need to not jam in wood along the sides that will put pressure on the secondary air tubes that are high up in the corner just below the top baffle. My experience with Jotul revolved around a Jotul 121 which is a monster. They were made for just a year or two about 1978. I used the 121 to heat my entire 2500 sq ft home for 25 years. You could put over twice the wood load into the 121 compared to the 118. If you ever get a chance to buy one jump on it. Here is a picture. I moved it to my shop when i put geothermal heat in the house. Just use the 118 in the basement to supplement the heat a little (really a lot!)

View attachment 256769View attachment 256770
That is an 8 inch red elm log loaded onto a hot bead of coals. Slid in a nice wedge of oak next to it. Could have slid in more yet on top of both of them but just didn’t need that much heat in the 1200 sq foot shop that day.
Ditto on the 121 Elg - 35 + years heating our 3000sf house - ours has the heat exchanger - replaced baffles once - can't find all the baffles anymore, so new stove being built. Will probably put her in the 4sale thread soon as new progress arrives.